I recently exchanged a few interesting messages about this, so I figured I'd post about it (it's my very first post on Reddit, btw, so please correct me if I'm doing anything wrong).
Alamut takes place in 11th Century Persia, in the fortress of Alamut, where self-proclaimed prophet Hasan ibn Sabbah is setting up his mad but brilliant plan to rule the region with a handful of elite fighters who are to become his "living daggers." By creating a virtual paradise at Alamut, filled with beautiful women, lush gardens, wine and hashish, Sabbah is able to convince his young fighters that they can reach paradise if they follow his commands.
Assassin's Creed takes inspiration from this novel#Cultural_impact), which is a romanticized account of historical events. Alamut also explains the real meaning of the phrase "nothing is true; everything is permitted" (which, in its original form, was "nothing is an absolute reality; all is permitted").
As /u/TimTalksHistory says in this comment, research suggests that a good bit of its contents are fictionalized to be based around accounts from Marco Polo, which came to fascinate people with their legend. He has
in which he explores Marco Polo's account directly, rather than the novel itself. Thumbs up for his content, definitely follow him if you're interested in history.
Unfortunately, it seems it's still a bit difficult to find copies of the book, because its contents were considered too similar to the ideology of modern-day Islamic extremists (which, having read the book, I personally think is not true). If you can't find a physical copy, here's a link to the Kindle edition (in English).
- This is an oversimplification, but I'm adding links for anyone interested in researching the subject: The Aga Khan, a title held by the Imām of the Nizari Isma'ili Shias, may be considered the current leader of the Assassins, since the Asāsiyyūn were a Nizari Isma'ili sect of Shia Islam.
- The novel was translated in English in 2004 (66 years after it was first published).
- Some literary critics have interpreted Alamut as an allegory of the TIGR, an organization formed in order to fight the Fascist Italianization in the former Austrian Littoral. Allegedly, Vladimir Bartol had sympathised with said organisation.
- About Black Diablos being pregnant or in heat…
- Charts for champions damage dealt, taken and more: 10.23 vs 10.22
- I calculated the average damage output of four classic character options accounting for AC over all 20 levels.
More about Assassin's CreedPost: "The historical novel that inspired the first Assassin’s Creed" specifically for the game Assassin's Creed. Other useful information about this game:
- Noob Questions and opinions after getting to Athens for the first time.
- Assassin’s Creed 2: secret codes found in glyphs
- Assassin’s Creed III would have worked better as a linear game. [SPOILERS from a 9 years old game… God I feel old]
- New setting regarding rumours about future games and the AC writer comments on a setting in Brazil and Conquistadors.
- My definitive ranking of every AC game
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.