Content of the article: "I know people are angry (for good reason) about things in BL, but we have to give the Narrative team some credit for the story."
First this season started off with a bombshell of a lore book in the Clovis Bray Journals which answered many questions about the big guy himself, not to mention the origins of the Vex, and many insights into how they work, among many other details.
Beyond that, though, the campaign itself is, IMO, the best of D2… On par with Forsaken. Yes, I know that's a bold claim. Let me explain.
The main antagonist of the story, Eramis, was not only built up in the lore this time, but we have actually fought her once before in Zero Hour. She has clear, and relatable motivations: The Traveler abandoned her people, so she wants to make them stronger without its aid. Over time, though, that motivation is warped into a lust for revenge, partially by her connection to the darkness.
But you guys know all that. Lets compare that to other villains, given the text in-game. Ghaul never really revealed his motivations outside the lore. The Vex dude (already forgot his name)… well his motivations were about as vague and alien as they come. Nokris was just a heretic, and evil just for the sake of being evil.
Only Uldren stacks up to Eramis, and I'd say they are pretty much on even ground as far as relatability and motivations. (I know some other villains have well-defined traits as well, but that is mostly left for the lorebooks. I'm looking strictly at what we are told and shown in-game)
As with Forsaken, in BL we fight the lieutenants of Eramis, each with their own schtick. Here Forsaken has the edge, as the wanted Scorn are each very unique in both their look and fighting style. However, don't sleep on Beyond Light. Those fights were pretty gnarly too, and had some unique mechanics.
Where BL really shines is after the main campaign. In the Dark Priestess storyline, the Salvation's grip mission, and especially the Exo Stranger's quest line
In the last, we get to see some true, pure character building from Elsie, and later from Ana and Elsie. Their exchange that we witness was probably the single best piece of storytelling in the game. No exposition to muddy things, just two characters revealing themselves through a very personal interaction. It was really cool to see Destiny show us something like that.
So yeah, kudos to the writing team for putting that together, and kudos to whoever was responsible for putting it in-game and not just as a cutscene.
- Our Guardian is not the main character in Beyond Light
- There are plenty of Lores of Magic yet to come – here’s a list of all of them
- About a potential new leader for the Forsaken.
More about DestinyPost: "I know people are angry (for good reason) about things in BL, but we have to give the Narrative team some credit for the story." specifically for the game Destiny. Other useful information about this game:
- Trials of the nine should be brought back as a monthly event for gambit, similar to the Iron banner.
- Was helping my friend through pit of heresy last week, and had to explain why the new sick loot he got, was basically useless… He had some interesting things to say after the fact
- Moving into High-Level PvE: Guide for Beginners (Part 2, Season 12 update)
- Moving into High-Level PvE: Guide for Beginners (Part 1, Season 12 update)
- As a Warlock main, I can’t wait to be disappointed by how many seasons it takes Bungie to nerf the new Hunter Stasis PvP wombo combo
- Daily Reset Thread [2020-12-02]
- Evergreen strike specific loot is the perfect way to lessen some the the pain caused by sunsetting
- My Ranking of Destiny’s Expansions
- Light Keepers Game2Give 2020 Fundraising Campaign
- Daily Reset Thread [2020-12-01]
Top 10 NEW Games of November 2020
November 2020 is filled with tons of games to pay attention to thanks to the upcoming launch of PS5 /Xbox Series X and beyond. Here's a roundup of the big ones.
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.