Two weeks ago I posted a reddit thread purposed to conduct a 5 year follow-up survey to an original demographic survey held in 2016. We've finalised the collection of results and the compilation of the report, details of which you can find below:
2021 full-report: https://docdro.id/ZeJTLar
2021 original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/lf9ywi/survey_who_are_the_users_of_rdota_2_5_year/
2021 unedited google form piecharts: https://imgur.com/a/TdQLTTS (please note that these are not formatted and there are some overlaps in options, due to the adding of additional options while the survey was open. For full details/breakdown, please see the report).
2016 original thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comments/2ybvzq/results_of_demographics_survey_for_rdota2/
Full-report key take-aways:
• Gender: The r/DotA2 community remains majority male, with 95.8% and 93.5% being male in 2016 and 2021 respectively. The female population grew from 3% (2016) to 3.5% (2021), while the proportion of transgender people increased from 0.05% (2016) to 1.1% (2021).
• Relationships: Those who are married, in a relationship or within a civil partnership all increased, by 3.8%, 5.1% and 1.3% respectively. These gains meant a decrease in those who are single, which declined from 67.3% to 57.3% – meaning since 2016, 10% more of the r/DotA2 community are now in some form of relationship.
• Age: The r/DotA2 community is aging. Those aged 30+ represented 3.9% of the population in 2016, which has now increased to 14.9% in 2021. Those aged 21 or below represented 50.1% of the population in 2016, but now represent 20.7%. The largest age group in 2021 is between 22 and 30 – now representing 64% of the r/DotA2 community.
• Play: The vast majority (91.4%) of the r/DotA2 community have played for over 3 years. Comparison on this question is difficult, as in 2016 Dota 2 had only been released 3 years (July 2013). However, those playing three year or less represent just 10% in 2021, while those who have played 8 years+ represent nearly 40%. At the very least, this indicates that Dota has: a) high retention of original players, but evident player-base losses; b) limited influx of new players who participate in the r/DotA2 community.
• Occupation: Corresponding to an aging population, the proportion of college/university students has dropped from 43.4% (2016) to 31.6% (2021), while those in full-time work has nearly doubled – from 25.3% (2016) to 47.4% (2021). Under 18 schooling decreased by the largest margin, from 16.6% (2016) to 2.3% (2021). Those in part-time work also decreased, while those self or unemployed increased. This may be a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Living: Correlating to prior questions, many more people now either live with their spouse partner (increasing 12% to 25.9%) or alone (increasing 6.8% to 17.5%).
• Children: Curiously, the number of respondents answering ‘yes’ to having children decreased by 0.2% between 2016 to 2021, from 5.9% to 5.7%. It was expected that this would also increase, given the increased numbers of marriages, relationships and an older population.
• MMR: MMR inflation is evident – as the proportion of those with 5k MMR or higher has increased from 4.5% (2016) to 12.8% (2021). However, the proportion of those within the 4001-5000 MMR bracket is largely unchanged, decreasing only by 0.3% from 2016 to 2021. A similar trend can be observed in the 2001 – 3000 bracket. The largest change is seen within the 3001-4000 bracket, which decreased 14% between 2016 to 2021.
• Location: The US remains the largest representative within the r/DotA2 community, which conforms to the overall demographics of reddit as a whole. UK, Germany and Canada represent the second, third and fourth largest respectively, with a mixture of SEA and European countries making up the other top 20. Outliers to this include India (5th), Australia (6th), Brazil (9th) and Russia (16th). For a full breakdown, please see page 13 and 14.
• Watching vs Playing: r/DotA2 remains a majority ‘playing’ community – with 60.5% primarily playing Dota 2 vs 33.3% who primarily watch. 6.1% neither play nor watch Dota 2.
o Those who play Dota 2 spend more time doing so – with a higher proportion selecting 8 hours or more.
o Conversely, those who watch Dota 2 seem to do so more casually – with a lower proportion selecting 8 hours or more.
o In relation to both, page 16 and 17 demonstrate that people who do not play Dota 2 are still liable to watch it. As indicated by the difference of 4.6% between those who ‘don’t play Dota 2’ vs those who ‘don’t watch’.
• Esports: Perhaps unsurprisingly, CS:GO is the most popular (24.6%) esports game besides Dota 2 that the r/DotA2 community engage with. Fortnite was the lowest, representing just 1.1% of the community – which perhaps correlates with the previously discussed ‘aging’ population. 47% selected ‘other’, which indicates that this survey either failed to offer appropriate choices or Dota 2 is the only esports genre that a large proportion of r/DotA2 engages with.
• Education: The r/DotA2 community is statistically well educated – with Bachelors, high school diplomas and college degrees being selected by 77% of respondents, at 32.4%, 27.4% and 17.2% respectively. Masters also scored highly, with 13.2%. Only 1.3% of the population had no formal education.
• Dota 2 Introduction: The majority were either recommended by a friend or family (49.5%) or have played since Warcraft 3 (28%). A mere 2.1% were introduced to Dota 2 by advertisement.
Congrats on all those new relationships, new jobs and hitting your mid to late twenties 😉
Any questions or queries, just ask and I'll endeavor to answer.
If you want to learn more about who we are or what we do, you can ~
Visit our website: https://www.itb-esports.com/
Follow our twitter: https://twitter.com/intothebreachgg
Or join our discord community: https://discord.com/invite/Yayy3JjDVc
Support is always appreciated and means we can do more and have greater impact.
We'll be running the same survey in r/leagueoflegends next-week to see how our communities differ.
- What a beautiful Dota looks like in your mind?
- 1v1 Solo Mid Tournament – 02-13-2021 – 2PM EST (8PM CET) – 1st: $55.00, 2nd: $20.00, 3rd $15.00 (100% of Subs and Donations increases the prize pool during the event)
- Dota 2: how to solve smurfing boogaloo
More about Dota 2Post: "r/DotA 2021 Demographic Survey – Results" specifically for the game Dota 2. Other useful information about this game:
- In the front page post ‘Today’s Overwatch case: Clinkz is reported for “cheating” ‘ Clinkz unlike claimed and believed is blatantly cheating.
- One big misconception about MMR and the differences between brackets.
- 6k MMR Nyx Assassin position 4 guide
- 6k MMR Nyx Assassin guide
- Tips from an “okay” player to new players
Top 7 NEW Games of February 2021
Looking for something new to play on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch in February 2021? Here are the notable video game releases.
Top 20 NEW Open World Games of 2021
2021 will bring us tons of open world games for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, Switch, and beyond. Here's what we're looking forward to.