Congratulations to the winner of the Metal & Blood Two Point Contest, Amonkira42 for the hero Thundel, the Storm-Shredder! With Amonkira42's suggestion, here comes the next contest:
OUT OF THIS WORLD POWER
Dota heroes come from many worlds, known and unknown. They descend from myth and part planar pathways to enter the dotaverse. There, they gather their strength to defend their legend! Your character will be one of these mythic figures from our world, who grows their power to decide the fate of heroes!
FLAVOR POINT: THE LEGENDS OF EARTH: Your hero, like Zeus, Sun Wukong, Medusa and others, will take their name and inspiration from a fictional hero or deity of legend from our world. Indra, Achilles, Coyote, Anansi — what would these gods and heroes look like in dota? What about mythical monsters like the Simurgh, the Sphynx, or Scylla? Could Merlin give Aghanim a run for his money? Legends need at least a touch of the antique about them for true authenticity, so any character from a story created before 1900 is okay. That means from Gilgamesh and Enkidu to Dracula and Frankenstein count, but leave chupacabras, grey aliens and Attack On Titan giants for another contest, please.
MECHANICAL POINT: CHARGING POWER: One of your hero's abilities must be a skill that activates (at least) twice, once to begin powering it up and a subsequent time to activate the effect. The skill's effect should become more powerful the longer it is charged. Think of Alchemist's stun and Hoodwink's ult. Activating the skill might have more effects than just charging up, like how Willow's Shadow Realm also makes her untargetable, and Windranger's Powershot is a channel. Activating the effect doesn't have to end the charging state (like Willow + Agh's). Failing to manually activate the ability again might have the ability autofire, backfire, just fizzle, or something else entirely.
Some boiler plate clarifications:
- The flavor criteria must be clearly reflected in your hero. It doesn't have to be the main focus of your dude, it is usually a prompt or creative springboard to inspire you. You should have a Lore section that is somewhere between 50 and 500 words to give us a taste of your hero's personality, background, motivations, etc. You must also tie your hero's theme into their mechanics. For example, Broodmother is a spider, so she has spider venom and Spins Webs as well as being a literal broodmother, so she can Spawn Spiderlings, and Mirana, the Priestess of the Moon, has a Sacred Arrow that slays creeps who dare touch it, she summons stars from the night sky, and she rides a sacred white tiger familiar that lets her Leap.
- The mechanical criteria is some essential part of dota that your hero's mechanics must use. For example, your hero might be required to have an ability that can affect towers, or have two passive abilities, or have at least one ability that can soft dispel an ally. Your entry should list all your hero's abilities as well as their vital stats, which are at minimum: their starting Strength, Agility and Intelligence and growth rates (noting which one is their primary), their move speed, and their melee or ranged attack range.
- And the third requirement is that you must leave a constructive criticism on another contest entry. You don't have to leave a huge page of comments, just a simple "I like this hero's E, it's very flavorful!" or "Your numbers seem a little high here, you might want to give your hero a little more focus to bring out the concept more." Of course, you can say more if you'd like. We are all posting these because we want to share them, so no criticism is wrong as long as it's clear and constructive.
Entries will be judged on thematic consistency, creativity, and mechanical continuity. "Mechanical continuity" means it should fit within the balance ideas of dota – no 12 second stuns, you probably shouldn't have 6 abilities, heroes need both strengths and weaknesses, that kind of thing. Don't be afraid to push the boundaries with your ideas, though! Nothing like Void Remnants or Rolling Thunder existed in dota before Void Spirit and Pango were introduced. I won't be judging on whether or not your entry is 100% perfectly balanced — that kind of thing has to come from play data — but it is important that your character's abilities are balance-able. That's a fine point, so feel free to ask questions, or just post a hero and ask the community if your dude is too busted or not busted enough.
This contest will run until April 15th, and you can adjust your hero however you'd like until then. In fact, I urge you to listen to what others have to say about your character and tinker away until the deadline! The winner will get to pick one of the points for the next contest, if they'd like. Please post a link to your entry in this thread. Post questions here too.
Good luck, have fun!
- Two Point Contest: L AND BLOOD
- July Contest – 2 Point Contest
- AGHS REWORK CONTEST & 2 Point Contest Winner
More about Dota 2Post: "Two Point Contest: OUT OF THIS WORLD POWER" specifically for the game Dota 2. Other useful information about this game:
- I don’t know what to do; the teams I’m getting are making me lose all passion for this game.
- Very new players in non-new player’s games
- Dawnbreaker Discussion: Armlet vs Echo Sabre before BKB
- Why you should be playing Dawnbreaker offlane, not safelane
- The Horror, Scavenger Demon (Artisan Submission)
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.