Advice required as I think this build has too much going on.
This character is a mighty lumbering Level 12 point-buy ancient firbolg
- Melee, Heavy Amour, and STR. Leaning into Powerful Build + she is an immovable object. Guessing this will require Resilient CON or Warcaster
- Expertise in Athletics for grappling and shoving. This won't be a primary tactic but I'd the option to lock down enemies, prioritising control over damage. This means either: Brawny Skill feat, 3 levels of Bard, 1 level of Rogue, 1 level of Ranger (Class Feature Variant UA)
- More caster than martial. Melee control in battle, healing and utility outside of combat
- Nature and/or divine themed
- Leaning away from high CHA and Druid as I have played both recently. Hence I'm not going Oath of the Ancients as I worry most of the spells would end up going on increasing damage instead of utility
Best I Can Come Up With:
- Gloomstalker 5 / Order+. STR 14, DEX 14, CON 16 (Resilient CON), INT 8, WIS 18, CHA 8 (i have permission for 28pts instead of 27)
- Class Variant UA for Shillelagh and Thorn Whip from Druidic Warrior + free utility spells
- Gloomstalker Ambush movement and attacks + Zephyr Strike to reach and control backline enemies
- Extra Attack for grapple/prone with minimal loss of spell casting progression.
- After making enemy prone the ideal damage output would be Shillelagh+Hunter's Mark+Divine Strike+Spiritual Weapon/Spirit Guardians
My worry is the Action economy?
Actions: grapple/shove, set up concentration spell (e.g Spirit Guardians), weapon attack, buffs/heals on party members to trigger their free attacks, Channel Divinity mass charm/disarm
Bonus Actions: Shillelagh (from Druidic Warrior), Zephyr Strike, Healing Word to trigger party attacks, Order Cleric's bonus action enchantment spells
Should I abandon the 5 level dip for Extra Attack in favour less investment or other options as grapple/shove prone might be less useful in Tier 3 play?
Are there other builds that would work better?
- examining the grappling strike maneuver for a grappler build
- Remember the non-attack combat actions
- I home brewed a judo monk subclass for 5E. What do you think?
More about Dungeons & Dragons OnlinePost: "Advice on a grapple/control melee Order Cleric" specifically for the game Dungeons & Dragons Online. Other useful information about this game:
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.