EDIT: Well, totally missed the big word "willingly". That's unfortunate…
Ignore this post entirely :'(
TL;DR: Crusher auto-procs Booming Blade, and goes really well with gish builds, particularly EK or Hexblade.
Since the official release of Crusher feat with Tasha's, I've been eyeing on a gish build that utilizes the synergy between these two.
To explain, Booming Blade says:
You brandish the weapon used in the spell’s casting and make a melee attack with it against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, the target suffers the weapon attack’s normal effects and then becomes sheathed in booming energy until the start of your next turn. If the target willingly moves 5 feet or more before then, the target takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.
(damage increases by 1d8 base + 1d8 proc at lv5, 11, and 17)
Then, Crusher says:
Once per turn, when you hit a creature with an attack that deals bludgeoning damage, you can move it 5 feet to an unoccupied space, provided the target is no more than one size larger than you.
So, if you hit an enemy with BB while wielding a weapon with bludgeoning damage (warhammer, quarterstaff, etc), you get an guaranteed proc of BB. This build does require 2 feats (Crusher and War Caster<1> ), but it provides a massive damage boost at level 5. It's still below DPR of popular martial builds<2>, but definitely threatening enough.
Besides, War Caster is a necessity for many gish builds to begin with: allows a shield to be equipped, and you're no longer forced to attack with your spell focus. BB as an opportunity attack is a bread and butter for some gish builds, anyways.
So, which class goes well with it?
- Eldritch Knight
- d10 high hit dice, heavy armor + shield
- Action surge: stack 2 BB on a creature, then push it on the second hit for death by sound explosion
- More ASI = easier to get those 2 feats early without locking yourself to Variant Human (or custom lineage)
- d8 hit dice, medium armor + shield
- Eldritch Blast to complement ranged damage
- Closer to full spellcaster experience than EK
- Hexblade 3 / Sorcerer X
- Provides more utility than pure Hexblade without losing too much (additional spells + metamagic)
- Sorlock is generally a good multiclass option
- Can't gain 2 feats until lv7
- Paladin 2 / Sorcerer X
- Nuking potential with Hold Person + Quickend BB + Divine Smite
- Provides much more well-rounded gish build (tank, damage, heal, control, RP, etc)
- Already MAD, and 2 feat requirement is fairly taxing
- Can't gain 2 feats until lv6
- Druid (Disclaimer: I barely know about this class)
- (Prerequisite: Choose high elf to learn BB as Wizards cantrip)
- Wood staff for druidic focus + Shillelagh
- Doesn't get Shield spell for gish build
- Can't gain 2 feats until lv8
Next time you brush up a gish character, you should definitely consider Crusher.
Now, excuse me while I go build Thor as my PC.
<1> Booming Blade has somatic component, so you must attack with your spellcasting focus with one hand free.
This can be resolved in three ways:
- Hit it with staff: as per DMG, you can use your staff (which is a spellcasting focus) as a quarterstaff:
Unless a staff's description says otherwise, a staff can be used as a quarterstaff.
Make your weapon into a focus: Go Hexblade, then take Pact of the Blade and Improved Pact Weapon. You can now use your Pact weapon as a spellcasting focus. +1 modifier is a cherry on top.
War Caster: If you're making this build, you're going to need this feat anyway to use BB for opportunity attack. Plus, if your spellcasting focus can be used as a weapon, you can now wear a shield.
Against a creature with 15 AC:
- At level 5 with 18 STR wielding a warhammer, Booming Blade deals 13.2 (4d8+4, 60% hit) damage.
- Level 5 Rogue with 18 DEX, Sharpshooter, Crossbow Expert wielding hand crossbow and rapier deals 14.9 damage.
- Rapier: 1d8+3d6+4, 60% hit
- Hand crossbow: 1d6+14, 35% hit
- Level 5 Fighter with 18 STR, Dual Wielder wielding two warhammer deals 15.3 (3d8+12, 60% hit) damage.
- Level 5 Fighter with 18 STR, GWM wielding greatsword deals 14.7 (4d6+28, 35% hit) damage (ignoring critical & BA)
- Level 5 Fighter/Ranger with 18 DEX, Archery FS and Sharpshooter wielding longbow deals 16.65 (2d8+28, 45% hit) damage.
- (Paladin w/ Divine Smite is kinda cheating)
- Polearm Master + Crusher (UA) might make Quarterstaffs… decent?
- MC Hammer build
- Homebrew Eldritch Knight Cantrips
More about Dungeons & Dragons OnlinePost: "Crusher feat is a great addition to the gish builds" specifically for the game Dungeons & Dragons Online. Other useful information about this game:
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.