Content of the article: "DM Advice for running 5e games for complete newbies!"
Okay GMs of Reddit, I come to you in great need of your wisdoms.
I'm planning to run an introductory game of 5e for some close friends of mine, anywhere from 2-4 players, of which only one has some experience playing DnD. I've run games before, but only as a part time GM for an existing group of players, plus they're experienced players which I find infinitely easier to run for since they know what they're doing, and thus I only need to worry about myself.
But I've never run games for people completely new to TTRPG, or even fantasy settings in general and thus I come asking for tips, advice and answers for a few questions I have. This will also be the first time I'm creating adventures for my PCs to run, usually I have pre-existing campaign settings to jump off that need very little forethought and time to get going.
- I'll be running a short lived game first, ideally a one shot, maybe 2-3 sessions at most depending. (still finalising the adventure length with an experienced GM)
- How much info should I give the newbies about 5e in general? Should I send them the PHB pdf? Send them parts of it? Link them some videos for newbies? Or just have them learn on session itself?
- I do plan to run a session 0, which I've only run once because like I said, my players are experienced and easy to run for. What are the most important things I'll need to think about when doing session 0, especially for newbies?
- Characters. I'll have them start level 3, but how do I do characters for newbies? Pre-gens? A session zero character creation? The one somewhat experienced player will have a character she'd like to bring in, but the others have zero clue on what to do in regards to characters.
Those are the big questions I can think of.
Any other tips, tricks, videos, resources and advice that you can give me would be much apperciated. I want to make this first session engaging, fun and educational as possible for my players.
- Help please! I’m dming for my first time ever and all my players are complete beginners
- One of my PCs is a frog-person but I have no idea how to handle it
- How do I stop the party from splitting without obvious railroading?
© Post "DM Advice for running 5e games for complete newbies!" for game Dungeons & Dragons Online.
Top 7 NEW Games of June 2020
Quite a few exciting games are releasing for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo in June. Here's what to keep an eye on.
Top 10 NEW Open World Games of 2020
Video games with open worlds continue to roll out in 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and beyond. Here are some to look forward to!
Top 10 Best New Upcoming Games 2020-2021
The best selection of games which will be released in 2020 and 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Google Stadia and PC - and you can watch in amazing UHD 4K and 60FPS with latest updates about all of the games in this list!