Content of the article: "First homebrew 5e BBEG and I don’t want to TPK the party"
TL:DR How do I figure out CR of homebrew BBEG and is he OP/UP
I've been playing for a little less than a year and recently started running my own homebrew game as DM. We're only a half dozen sessions in, but I'm having a lot of fun as are the players (so they tell me).
I'm much more of a planner…so I've started looking ahead at some of the big story beats. One of the first is the BBEG who will close out this chapter of the story. He's a conjurer from a northern snow tribe who possessed by the spirit of an ancient evil mage who is looking to pick up where he left off and rule the continent.
I based the NPC on a 5th level druid, but played with the spells a bit. I might try to homebrew a couple that fit with the story a bit more. It will probably be at least a few months in real time before the party meets him. I would love some feedback on him though and both of the people I would ask are my players…so I'm turning to the Internet. 🙂
The biggest question is how do I figure out a CR rating for a homebrew? Is it just find something similar that's already got stats and use that?
Be kind….first reddit post!
|11 (+0)||11 (+0)||14 (+2)||14 (+2)||17 (+3)||16 (+3)|
- Medium humanoid (human), chaotic evil
- Armor Class 16 (splint armor)
- Hit Points 43 (6d6 + 6)
- Speed 30 ft.
- Skills Arcana +4, Insight +2, Stealth +4, Persuasion +2
- Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 14
- Languages Common, Undercommon, Giant, Orc, Goblin
- Challenge ? (XP)
- Spellcasting. Derat is a 5nd-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). He knows the following spells:
- Cantrips (at will): Chill Touch, Frostbite, Primal Savagery
- 1st level (4 slots): Arms of Hadar, Chaos Bolt, Ray of Sickness, Inflict Wounds
- 2nd level (3 slots): Blindness/Deafness, Detect Thoughts, Ray of Enfeeblement, Mind Spike
- 3rd level (2 slots): Animate Dead, Bestow Curse, Hypnotic Pattern
- Wildshape (CR ½) – 2 uses per short rest
- Circle of Spore Druid
- Short Rest Spell Points instead of Long rest spell slots
- Homebrew spell scrolls, would love feedback!
- Spell Slots make no freaking sense!
© Post "First homebrew 5e BBEG and I don’t want to TPK the party" for game Dungeons & Dragons Online.
Top 7 NEW Games of June 2020
Quite a few exciting games are releasing for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo in June. Here's what to keep an eye on.
Top 10 NEW Open World Games of 2020
Video games with open worlds continue to roll out in 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and beyond. Here are some to look forward to!
Top 10 Best New Upcoming Games 2020-2021
The best selection of games which will be released in 2020 and 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Google Stadia and PC - and you can watch in amazing UHD 4K and 60FPS with latest updates about all of the games in this list!