Content of the article: "First time DM – super nervous of planned campaign introduction. Input much appreciated (map and overview inside)"
So for a couple of months I've been tasked with preparing a new campaign. I've played the game about 2-3 times a month over the past year, so this is all still pretty new to me.
I'd love to start it out with somewhat of a bang, but have no idea how to scale it. I'll try to summarize the intro as short as possible:
6 players (all level 1) have had a short introduction written, telling them where they are and how they got there (the Misty Forest).
4 of the players find themselves barely able to see much in front of them due to the sudden mist. The remaining 2 (M and O) are inside and right next to a lonely inn in the middle of nowhere (having just arrived before the fall of dark and the thickening of the mist).
All of the players hear a terrible roar coming from somewhere to the west of the forest. Following this roar is a gruff voice yelling out that their job is to find and capture the stragglers detected in the forest. This is immediately followed by a battle cheers from seemingly two dozen voices. To the east (at the inn) a loud bell starts chiming, signaling to the players where they might be able to find safety.
– Each players rolls for initiative.
– The 4 players (F, N, P and G) roll a d4, which determines their starting point.
– Should two players roll a 2, one player starts on the "2", and one player starts on the "X" next to the "2". Should three players roll a 2, two players starts at the "2" and one starts at the "X" etc.
– Depending on their start, each player will face a unique obstacle. At certain intersections, they'll be able to move north or south should they so wish, which may lead them closer to or away from potential allies.
– At all times players will need to use other senses than sight, as the mist is so thick they're barely able to see much of anything.
– The two players at the inn can decide whether they want to go out and help potential stragglers, or if they'd prefer to remain in safety.
– Should all hell break loose and the characters get themselves tangled in way more than they can handle, I've prepared a selection of NPC's that'll come to their rescue. These are NPC's that are already present in the inn, which they would have met there regardless.
I'd love for some input! Any comments on potential pitfalls, challenges or ideas are most welcome!
- The Mastery rank changes for Helminth is completely out of touch with what it’s meant to do for the game in the first place
- Hero points and Proficiency dice, do they make the game funner.
- Hey guys! I put together some Short/Long Rest mechanics for 5e with inspiration from Zee Bashew, and I want to get some DM opinions on it before I use it with my players.
© Post "First time DM – super nervous of planned campaign introduction. Input much appreciated (map and overview inside)" for game Dungeons & Dragons Online.
Top 7 NEW Games of June 2020
Quite a few exciting games are releasing for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo in June. Here's what to keep an eye on.
Top 10 NEW Open World Games of 2020
Video games with open worlds continue to roll out in 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and beyond. Here are some to look forward to!
Top 10 Best New Upcoming Games 2020-2021
The best selection of games which will be released in 2020 and 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Google Stadia and PC - and you can watch in amazing UHD 4K and 60FPS with latest updates about all of the games in this list!