Content of the article: "Help creating a memorable boss room"
Im currently running my players through a custom campaign (first campaign ive ever dm'ed and people seem to be enjoying it), the campaign has been based on a fantastical version of the romance of the three kingdoms centered around a small town called fox's gate and an upcoming festival, it is a wuxia (martial classes and low magic) setting.
They are about to face their last main threat before the final setpiece and was figuring getting some opinions on making the boss room more fun and interactive.
The party all level 4 (lore bard, open hand monk, arcane archer fighter, thief rogue) have been on the trail of a bandit leader called greymane who has been in league with a cloaked figure who knows magic and has taught him how to use alchemy to create phantom soldiers with large magic urns. He is currently holed up in the ruins of a castle that was burned to the ground after it fell years ago,
The idea for the combat encounter is to have greymane, who i have modelled off a dual wielding battlemaster, allowing him to use the "commanding strike", "disarming strike" and "Maneuvering Attack" manoeuvres. He would control his old military retinue turned bandit of 2 archers and 2 hand weapon shield enemies.
There will also be cultists chanting around 2 of these phantom soldier urns that will not attack the party but will spawn a phantom soldier every 2 turns if there isnt one.
My players are lateral thinkers that enjoy having things to interact with in the room and challenges to overcome, so i would like to get some ideas to make this encounter memorable 🙂
The main additional ideas im looking for would be things to fill the room with for players and enemies to use.
So far I have: Greymane starts on a balcony with his archers in cover, with the urns behind him.
The players start on a large open courtyard at ground level with pillars for cover
Greymane can use command to get the archers to attack out of turn order.
Greymane can also manouvering attack to allow other melee enemies to escape melee with a player and reposition for flanking.
Phantom soldiers have low health but resistance to all non magical damage.
Phantom soldier urns can be smashed to stop the soldiers respawning.
Thanks in advance!
- Stopped my players overthinking with a cold shower
- I’m not sure how to surprise my players with a lycanthrope boss in a way that doesn’t feel cheap.
- New DM here… I need to make my campaign less hack n slashy.
More about Dungeons & Dragons OnlinePost: "Help creating a memorable boss room" specifically for the game Dungeons & Dragons Online. Other useful information about this game:
- Questions About Traps
- What I’ve Learned Transitioning to Roll20 + a little advice
- Help with Villain goals in Frostmaiden
- Confession: I lie about damage rolls (and other things) constantly. It works out great, and my players love it. And you should, too!
- Breaking down/converting existing larger adventures into smaller pieces to make a big one? Best ones to use for that purpose?
- Fighter Subclasses Revamped; Purple Dragon Knight and Eldritch Knight
- Teaching players caution through orcs
- [Guide] How to roleplay a knight
- Goblins At Phandelin “- The Not So Deadly Ambush
- Having innately Evil races is not a bad thing.
Top 10 NEW Games of November 2020
November 2020 is filled with tons of games to pay attention to thanks to the upcoming launch of PS5 /Xbox Series X and beyond. Here's a roundup of the big ones.
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.