Content of the article: "How to be a Ranger without being a Ranger."
With Tasha's coming out, most people (as far as I've seen) dislike the ranger 'fixes'. Most people still find Ranger to be a subpar class, me included.
A good way to go about 'fixing' ranger in my opinion is just not to play it. Instead, there are multiple options for a 'ranger' character without a 'ranger' class.
Option 1 – Eldritch Knight with 'Tracker' feat and Outlander background.
With outlander, you can forage and not get lost. With 'tracker', you can cast hunter's mark and track. With EK spellcasting on the fighter chassis, you have all the combat tools you need, and a wide selection of feats to take. Proficiency with CON saves also helps you keep up that Hunter's mark.
If you want more of a 'forest' feel, dip a couple of levels into Druid, dumping INT for WIS.
Option 2 – Multiclassed scout rogue.
A rogue is sneaky, a scout rogue is foresty. It's already close to the ranger. By multiclassing into Druid, Warlock or Cleric, you gain spells and a wealth of abilities you can use to help enhance the ranger feel, including:
- Warlock: Speak with Animals at will
- Druid: Wild shape
- Cleric (Trickster): Pass without trace and blessing of the trickster
Option 3 – Warlock (Hexblade).
Warlocks are very customizable in dnd 5e. Pick up invocations to customize yourself. Hexblade's curse acts like Hunter's Mark. You don't need to get pact of the blade, you can instead get a familiar or a grimoire, up to you.
Good invocations include:
- Armor of Shadows
- Aspect of the moon
- Beast speech
- Devil's sight
- Eldritch sight
- Eldritch smite
- Improved pact weapon
- Mask of many faces
The list goes on…
I know this is the billionth Ranger post in this subreddit, but I think at this point, the Ranger is doomed. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I haven't yet seen a Ranger build that could out-Ranger any of the builds I've suggested above.
I'd love to hear your thoughts or suggestions.
- Tasha’s Class Features
- Tier 1-2 Warlock buffs
- There were plenty of ways to restrict the multiclassing potency of favored foe without nerfing it into the ground for the main class.
More about Dungeons & Dragons OnlinePost: "How to be a Ranger without being a Ranger." specifically for the game Dungeons & Dragons Online. Other useful information about this game:
- Help me fix a few plot holes and come up with the next step in campaign?
- HELP: Arrogant Heroes have turned the city against them…How to punish without sacrificing fun??
- Playing DnD With My Family, Worried My Nerd Dad Will Hate It
- The Hunter; A martial alternative to the Ranger
- [Resource] Complete list of character creation options
- Here’s some Vicious Mockery ideas for everyone!
- She’s having fun so far
- Stuff to know before you buy Tasha’s
- Here is a really effective way of not just making your BBEG look like a manece but also to make your player hate him/her/they.
- My party ghosted me today.
Top 10 NEW Games of November 2020
November 2020 is filled with tons of games to pay attention to thanks to the upcoming launch of PS5 /Xbox Series X and beyond. Here's a roundup of the big ones.
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.