So there will be a lvl 5 druid joining my campaign and I would like to introduce them by having them held prisoner in a lizardfolk village.
Obviously this raises the question how rather simple lizardfolk would manage to keep someone captive for extended periods of time that can easily escape any kind of cage or restraints by wildshaping into a mouse, spider or similar. Therefore, I would like to introduce some simple kind of way for the lizardfolk to deal with this, without totally making the wild shape feature useless in the world for the druid and by that punish them for choosing a druid. However, I think that in a magical world, wild shaping seems like a rather common issue, so most people running a prison would probably have a way to deal with creatures trying to escape that way. Especially lizardfolk, since their shamans have the ability to turn into crocodiles.
My ideas so far:
1) A very tight-woven cage (or maybe insides lined with leather) with a constant guard post that checks on the druid regularly. However, this still seems rather unsafe.
2) Some kind of herb/drug that can be administered forcefully or with the prison meals that suppresses/numbs the druids connection to nature making him unable to wild shape. (Lizardfolk Shamans would probably know about such herbs). However, the existence of such a drug would have major implications for the entire world/future of the campaign.
3) Magic suppressing shackles, although I think that would be a very unusual item to have for lizardfolk living in the middle of a swamp with little contact to outsiders.
I am sure a lot of you have had to deal with this particular problem and any ideas/suggestions are welcome. Also, please tell me if I'm overthinking this.
PS: I also have spoken to the player, and they say they are fine with some way of controlling wild shape, as long as it doesn't become omnipresent or can be done quickly mid-combat by mundane creatures.
- Finally finished my gishy druid subclass themed around the savage and ferocious side of nature. Would like critical feedback.
- Leaving Druid wildshape and opportunity attacks
- Druid Circle of the Land- Alternate Use of Wild Shape Idea
More about Dungeons & Dragons OnlinePost: "How to fairly deal with the slippiness of druids due to wild shape?" specifically for the game Dungeons & Dragons Online. Other useful information about this game:
- High persuasion player is not acting at all persuasive
- Alternative method for characters to gain Feats during play instead of only trading ASI
- From rookeries to dark allies, this secretive race was cursed to never fly again – Lore & History of the Kenku
- I Have No Memory Of This Place: Navigating The Underdark Through Your Senses
- I want my level 9 party to blow up and become ‘famous’. What can I do to make them feel like they’ve suddenly become overnight celebrities in their huge city?
Top 7 NEW Games of February 2021
Looking for something new to play on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch in February 2021? Here are the notable video game releases.
Top 20 NEW Open World Games of 2021
2021 will bring us tons of open world games for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, Switch, and beyond. Here's what we're looking forward to.