Content of the article: "Is Minor Illusion capable of doing these?"
Lately I've been podering on Minor Illusion cantrip roleplay capabilities. The spell description says:
You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again.
If you create a sound, its volume can range from a whisper to a scream. It can be your voice, someone else’s voice, a lion’s roar, a beating of drums, or any other sound you choose. The sound continues unabated throughout the duration, or you can make discrete sounds at different times before the spell ends.
If you create an image of an object—such as a chair, muddy footprints, or a small chest—it must be no larger than a 5-foot cube. The image can’t create sound, light, smell, or any other sensory effect. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it.
If a creature uses its action to examine the sound or image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.
So by the looks of it, the 5-foot cube containing the illusion cannot move, but can the illusory stuff inside that cube move within it? Even if it can't escape the "bounding box", so to speak?
Would you be able to create a miniature illusion of a person? For example, you could create such an illusion to show a city guard an assassin you saw murdering somebody a while ago.
Could you create a miniature 3D map of a city on a table to discuss a battle plan? Could you cast a second instance of Minor Illusion to add sounds of a bustling city with marketplace chatter, muffled sounds of carts and so on? Could this illusory diorama have small carts and people moving around to add immersion, or would that be too elaborate for a cantrip? Just imagine looking at a miniature town's square with small clients arguing that "this price for an apple cake is outrageous!", small birds flying around above and… with prestidigitation, actually smelling all those baked goods!
- About 14th level Illusion wizard’s “Illusory Reality”
- My Idea for a Higher Level Prestidigitation-type Spell
- How far do you let a player take Silent Image? What should/shouldn’t they get away with? Let’s discuss!
More about Dungeons & Dragons OnlinePost: "Is Minor Illusion capable of doing these?" specifically for the game Dungeons & Dragons Online. Other useful information about this game:
- Having some problems
- I messed up and now I need to help my DM
- NPC Idea: The Vampire Girl
- The “Local Heroes” tier of play, and why most published WotC adventures kill players instead of doing tier appropriate activities.
- Am I leading my campaign wrong?
- Genies of the elemental wind, these beings wander the deserts and cause mischief for mortals – Lore & History of the Djinni
- Legendary Magic Item, The Mirror Shield
- 99 Barely Useful Magic Items
- Potential dumpster fire of a one-shot, send help?
- Roman Inspired World-Building Help (Aterra)
Top 10 NEW Games of November 2020
November 2020 is filled with tons of games to pay attention to thanks to the upcoming launch of PS5 /Xbox Series X and beyond. Here's a roundup of the big ones.
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.