Content of the article: "Mundane Magic Items – D&D (5e)"
I'm always interested in "mundane magic", the type of magic that would exist or be created simply to improve the lives of people, not help slay monsters. I think in a high magic world, they would likely fill the same space as technological advancements that have stuck around.
Do you have ideas you can share? Here are some of mine that I've collected…
- Coldstone – a medium sized frost-colored stone, that keeps that ambient temperature of the surrounding 10' area or room up to 20 degrees fahrenheit (~6 celsius) cooler than the ambient temperature by targeting "room temperature". Room temperature would be whatever the person attuned (doesn't require a slot) prefers.
- Hotstone – a medium sized rust-colored stone, that keeps that ambient temperature of the surrounding 10' area or room up to 20 degrees fahrenheit (~6 celsius) warmer than the ambient temperature by targeting "room temperature". Room temperature would be whatever the person attuned (doesn't require a slot) prefers.
- Firewood – an enchanted log that ignites when in the presence of living creatures (15' radius) and puts itself out when they are no longer present. Burns for up to 100 hours.
- Worklight – An enchanted lamp that lights when in the presence of living creatures (15' radius) and puts itself out when they are no longer present. Can be dimmed or snuffed via verbal commands.
- Wetstone – A medium size stone which, when buried in dirt maintains an ideal moisture-level for the plant life in the surround 10' radius. Never over or under water!
- Icebox – An enchanted box (made in various sizes) which keeps items placed inside appropriately cool to maximize preservation time. Generally used in large, magic rich cities for the storage of both food and bodies.
- Forever Blooms – An enchanted flower or bouquet which never withers, needs water or light. A common (extravagant) gift between lovers representing the everlasting love they have for another.
- Promise Rings – A pair of enchanted gold bands that emit a pleasant warmth, and go cold if either is ever removed from ones finger (until it is replaced).
- Aureum's Shower – Named for the famous wizard who invented them, these items are installed as a head + drain combination and provide warm water, and a drain receptacle which disintegrates any liquid poured into it. Can be installed into a bath as well as shower configuration.
- Shadow Glass – Glass panes which can be magically made smoky and hazy or clear upon command, so as to make the glass see through or not. Only one side of the glass accepts the command. Also built in a variant that blocks all sound – either permanently or on command.
- illusory Boxes – specially enchanted boxes that, when opened, overlay an illusory effect on the surrounding room or area (generally up to 30'). Typically enchantments include underwater scenes, which cover furniture in coral and reefs, as well as translucent fish and bubbles along with the sounds of flowing water; forest/fey enchantments which shroud walls, ceilings, and furniture in ivy and vines, with dappled sunlight, translucent fairies, birds and ethereal music; or darker scenes like graveyards, dungeons, or hellscapes. The effect is stopped whenever the box is closed.
- Moving Painting – created by illusionist painters, these otherwise normal canvas and oil paintings show their subjects in motion, subtle or dynamic. Some paintings can be designed to interact with people nearby, capable of rudimentary conversations or salutations.
- Dust Bin – Boxes that when opened, release and tiny enchanted wind spirit that sweeps nearby surfaces clear of dust, depositing them in a tray in the bottom of the bin in a matter of moments.
- Needle of Mending – An enchanted needle which when used with torn garments repairs them flawlessly.
- Buttons of Fastidiousness – An enchanted button, which when sewn onto a garment, leaves the fabric (and everything else worn) immaculately clean and pressed, repealing all dirt, mud or other unwanted material (wine, food, etc). Also made in belt buckle, necklace, and handkerchief form.
- Tooth of Purity – An enchanted tooth (gold or white) which when implanted in a mouth repels all forms of decay, stains, or bad breath.
- Table of Setting – A magic table which, on command, will set itself with appropriate tableware as desired by the owner (fancy, casual, etc). The dishes, napkins, cutlery, and glassware are all enchanted and will disappear if taken more than 50' from the table (an interesting way to spill wine!) and can be ordered to vanish along with any food or remnants at the owner's command. No one except the one attuned to the table can make this happen.
- Censer of Repellant – An enchanted metal bowl which repels all pests & vermin (gnat, mosquitos, moths, rats, mice) within a 100' radius. Highly prized for maintaining closets pest-free as well as outdoor areas in hot climates where bugs are plentiful.
- Slippers of Warming – An enchanted pair of slippers that are always pleasantly warm.
- Bell of Serving – A bell without a ringer that makes no audible sound – except for one or more people (usually servants) that the bell is attuned for. Any such individuals can hear the bell if they are in a mile radius, no matter what the ambient level of sound is. Anyone who can hear the bell, can also find their way unerringly to it. The sound of the bell is not unpleasant, but can become so depending on matters for which it is rung.
- Cup of Confidence – A magically enchanted goblet or glass which turns a bright red and becomes uncomfortably warm to the touch should anything poisoned ever be placed inside it.
- Scarf of Wicking – A magic scarf to be worn about the head, which not only keeps the wearer completely dry in the rain (water simply flies in all directions instead), but also eliminates – at least while worn – problematic humidity, leaving hair perfect. Highly sought after by ladies and gentlemen of high fashion who pursue hard to maintain hairstyles.
- Living Toy – An enchanted toys (generally plush and stuffed) which can be commanded by parents to play with their children. The toy cannot speak or take any actions except, small jumps, walking around, hiding, following, falling over – which it will do tirelessly to entertain their charge. The living toy falls limp if the child begins to cry.
- Wand of Tidying – A wand which can be used for cleaning messes: liquids, solids, minor scratches, as well as spot cleaning of dishes or dusting (Dust Bins work better for generally day-to-day dusting).
- Magic items for my party
- Would love some help on a trap I’m designing!
- Mod idea for unknown potions/enchanted gear?
Top 7 NEW Games of January 2021
New year - new month - new games. Take a look at the first 2021 games you’ll be playing on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X, Xbox One, Switch, and more.
More about Dungeons & Dragons OnlinePost: "Mundane Magic Items – D&D (5e)" specifically for the game Dungeons & Dragons Online. Other useful information about this game:
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.