Content of the article: "My bard was infected with wererat lycanthropy, and instead of doing the sensible thing and having his curse removed, he wants to be Master Splinter. Any ideas?"
During a traipse in the city sewers, the group encountered an attempted ambush from a gang of wererats. Their leader had the special ability to transform into a swarm of rats (some bullshit I made up on the spot because I couldn't find the guy's stat block on my laptop). The valorous bard was bit by swarm in the ensuing battle and was infected with wererat lycanthropy. After the session, the player talked to me about the possibilities of being a wererat character. We discussed a few possibilities of how I could homebrew some abilities that would allow him to transform into a swarm of rats himself. However, I warned that whatever power granted to him through this curse, there must be a severe downside. Lycanthropy is not a road to be taken lightly, and wererats themselves are craven to their core. He suggested the possibility of him seeking the guidance of Selune, the forgotten realms goddess of the moon and non-evil lycanthropes. A bard's quest to become a pure-hearted ratkin is an intriguing one, but I need ideas for the road ahead. The power of lycanthropy itself should have a corruptive influence, and the temptations from the evil god of lycanthropy Malar should be ever present. My request from you, dear readers, is to enlighten me with some ideas on how my PC would be tempted by greed and avarice, and how he may overcome such temptation to perhaps become the redeemer of Ratkin. I am primarily asking for mechanical and roleplaying consequences for choosing to live with the curse of lycanthropy, and whether or not my bard could ever have the strength of character to resist the darkest aspects of lycanthropy. Below are some additional notes to consider:
- The bard is a Chaotic Good half-elf and a worshipper of the Seldarine. It should be noted that the goddess Selune in some settings is considered an aspect of Sehanine Moonbow.
- The setting is my own personal homebrew, though I do try to adhere to the rules of multiverse when applicable.
- Any of your vignettes and stories of lycanthropy in your games, especially pertaining to wererats, would be much appreciated on this thread.
- The wererat who infected the bard was able to survive the battle. Perhaps he would be interested in tracking down the infected PC, either to kill him or to attempt to manipulate him for his own selfish ends?
Thank you very much for reading this post, I look forward to reading your input. Have a wonderful day!
- I want to flesh out a random NPC to a proper character. Thoughts?
- Additional Lycanthropy Rules for SpOooOoKy sEaSOn! Feedback Welcome.
- I feel the potential for Swarmkeeper Ranger shenanigans is not discussed enough
© Post "My bard was infected with wererat lycanthropy, and instead of doing the sensible thing and having his curse removed, he wants to be Master Splinter. Any ideas?" for game Dungeons & Dragons Online.
Top 7 NEW Games of June 2020
Quite a few exciting games are releasing for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo in June. Here's what to keep an eye on.
Top 10 NEW Open World Games of 2020
Video games with open worlds continue to roll out in 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and beyond. Here are some to look forward to!
Top 10 Best New Upcoming Games 2020-2021
The best selection of games which will be released in 2020 and 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Google Stadia and PC - and you can watch in amazing UHD 4K and 60FPS with latest updates about all of the games in this list!