Hello, all. Apologies if this is the wrong place or flair!
A very good player (the sort that listens, takes notes and wants to miss nothing in the session) has been running a wizard for a bit, and he's level 7 now. For some background on the character, he's a bit of a prodigy (gasp).
The player approached me about creating a spell during his downtime activities, short and long rests and whatnot. He's sent me this text:
Raffghellian's Lightning Sling
(*Concentration)LEVEL: 2ndCASTING TIME:* 1 ActionRANGE/AREA: 60 ftCOMPONENTS: V, S, M *DURATION: Concentration / 1 MinuteSCHOOL: EvocationATTACK/SAVE: CON SaveDAMAGE/EFFECT: Lightning
Make a ranged spell attack at a creature that you can see within range. You sling three orbs made of lightning at the target creature. It makes a constitution saving throw or it takes 2d6 lightning damage and the target is stunned until the spell ends.
At Higher Levels. You can target an additional creature for each level above the 2nd, but you will have to chose one creature to concentrate the spell effects, the other creatures that have failed the test will only be stunned until the end of your next turn, but no damage is received.
– (3 ball bearings), a forked rod*
So, what do you think? Maybe changing the damage to 3d4 instead of 2d6? Same total, slightly higher mininum value, goes with the Material component.
Thank you for your feedback.
Edit: This is what I got after reading your opinions!
Raffghellian's Lightning Sling
CASTING TIME: 1 Action
RANGE/AREA: 60 ft
COMPONENTS: V, S, M *
DURATION: Until the end of your next turn.
ATTACK/SAVE: CON Save
Make a ranged spell attack at a creature that you can see within range, it takes 2d6 lightning damage on a hit, and it makes a constitution saving throw, on a failure the target is stunned until the end of your next turn.
At Higher Levels. You can target an additional creature for each level above the 2nd.
* – (3 ball bearings)
- Homebrew Eldritch Knight Cantrips
- A rework to Dispel Magic and Counterspell to make them feel more satisfying. Spell
- Homebrewing some spells for my sword college bard. I want to make the cloud of daggers more interesting. Thoughts on these spells?
More about Dungeons & Dragons OnlinePost: "Player wants his wizard to R&D a spell" specifically for the game Dungeons & Dragons Online. Other useful information about this game:
- Help! I’m trying to find my way out of a hole I dug and any ideas or thoughts that might jump start my brain are welcome!
- Folklore: Iron, Apparitions, and other folklore
- LMoP Intro Monologue, be gentle
- The Noble Cleric cleverly avoids being made a plaything of a noblewoman by being accused of rape.. By the same woman.
Top 7 NEW Games of February 2021
Looking for something new to play on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch in February 2021? Here are the notable video game releases.
Top 20 NEW Open World Games of 2021
2021 will bring us tons of open world games for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, Switch, and beyond. Here's what we're looking forward to.