Content of the article: "Resource – A descriptive intro/invite to Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign"
This is mostly for my Fellow DMs!
I am planning to run Rime of the Frostmaiden for a few people who are still relatively new to D&D who don't know the setting, and who I know are busy and may need some sweet words to tempt them!
So I wrote up an invite with an introduction that I think gives just enough of a hook without giving too much away. I cobbled it together from some snippets of the text and a bunch of my own understanding of the setting. I figured I would post it here for you all to use as you like!
Note: I also included some cover art to further tempt the players. Who doesn't love the idea of a snowy owl bear!?
Rime of the Frostmaiden – Official invite
North of the Spine of the World, is a land rarely traveled except for those bolstered by stout hearts, driven by daring hopes, or fleeing from a guilty conscience and the secrets of the past. Icewind Dale, with its scant foothold of civilization known as Ten Towns nestled within its harsh tundra, is not for the faint of heart. Katabatic winds sweep down from the Reghed Glacier, ceaselessly battering anything that dares to grow or breathe in Icewind Dale. Without fail, these winds find their way through every chink and crack, every opening in the warmest furs, every tent flap, every roof and board of the strongest homes, draining away any hint of warmth.
And word has spread that in recent years the sun no longer holds sway over this frozen tundra. While the rest of the world enjoys the summer sun, in Ten Towns and the barren tundras of Icewind Dale, the days falter in twilight, and the nights are dark. Storms bring driving hail and sleet that leaves everything coated in a sheath of ice. Snow piles in deep drifts and blocks all trails leading south to warmer lands. And every night a curtain of light weaves its way across the starry sky, an aura that portends an everlasting winter.
Trapped in winter's cold embrace, nomadic humans follow herds of reindeer through their migrations, while others dare the treacherous waters of the western Sea of Moving Ice in search of fish, seals, walruses, and whales to sustain them. Dwarves dig into the earth to seek shelter and mine for iron. Meanwhile folk descended from foolhardy and treasure mad immigrants eke out meager lives in Ten Towns, which can barely hold back the wind, let alone marauding orcs, giants, and fierce tundra Yeti.
Yet despite the unnatural cold and other dangers, some people, for reasons of their own, still brave the journey to reach this harsh winterscape searching for opportunity, adventure, or maybe just a little peace.
Friends! This is your official invite to a new game! Some details:
- D&D 5th edition
- Levels 1-10
- Rime of the Frostmaiden: official Wizards of the Coast campaign.
- Tone: Dark, brooding, spooky, and a little horror.
- Recommended reading/watching: The Thing by John Carpenter, At the Mountains of Madness by HP Lovecraft, The Shining by Stanley Kubrick, Alien by Ridley Scott
- Location: In the Realm of Faerun, north of the sword coast across the forbidding mountain range known as the Spine of the World.
- Character options – All alignments except evil, and all character types and class combos from any official source books! Icewind dale attracts the brave and desperate from all corners of faerun, from the island jungles of Chult to the far off land of Thay and all along the sword coast. Even monstrous races are left alone if they leave others alone. Survival in the frozen north is too difficult to get hung up on such things and besides…everyone has secrets in Ten Towns.
Goals for the campaign
- In Person
- Weekly consistent sessions on a weeknight.
- Long play sessions – 6:30 – 11:00
- Long running setting. It took us two years of two-hour weekly games to finish Tyranny of Dragons and this is comparable. But we are all much more experienced and I hope to be playing longer sessions!
I know that where life is at (kids, covid, school, new house etc.) this may not work for many of you. Please let me know as I have a few other people who would like to play as well, but you guys are my favorite group and I would love to play together again so you get first dibs!
If you can't do some of the above, please let me know which goal is the problem and I can look at everyone's contingencies and see if we can make something work. Also let me know if you would be ok playing in person with people who work at the university.
Always your DM,
- Trying to learn how to run pre-written adventures in general as I prepare to run Rime of the Frostmaiden 🌬☃️
- So you’re running Rime of the Frostmaiden…
- Plot hooks for Rime of the Frostmaiden
© Post "Resource – A descriptive intro/invite to Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign" for game Dungeons & Dragons Online.
Top 7 NEW Games of June 2020
Quite a few exciting games are releasing for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo in June. Here's what to keep an eye on.
Top 10 NEW Open World Games of 2020
Video games with open worlds continue to roll out in 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and beyond. Here are some to look forward to!
Top 10 Best New Upcoming Games 2020-2021
The best selection of games which will be released in 2020 and 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Google Stadia and PC - and you can watch in amazing UHD 4K and 60FPS with latest updates about all of the games in this list!