Please refer to the DM’s Skim (page 3 of the PDF) for a summary of the quest.
The Calligrapher incorporates many D&D challenges into a single side quest. This one-session excursion includes dark narrative themes, code translation riddles, creative problem-solving, ethical challenges, plot twists, and combat.
It's best suited for a party that is comfortable role-playing, enjoys narrative quests (as opposed to simpler hack-and-slash encounters), and has one character within the party who is deeply motivated by grief. This quest draws inspiration from two of my favorite books: The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris and Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov.
Finally, and most importantly, this homebrew relies heavily on the talent and contribution of several artists, websites, and programs. Most notably, Megan Hutchinson (u/TheRagingAviator), provided the outstanding cover art based on this quest's villain. She was an absolute pleasure to work with. Megan has an art style that's so unique and refreshing that, on more than one occasion, it cured brief spells of writer's block as I was finishing this quest. I can only hope that the quality of my work has earned the caliber of hers.
Please send any recommendations for improvement. Grammar, guide organization, reactions or frustrations… all of it. Thank you!
- Random screenshot since 2016 // feel free to share yours
- Landscapes of the journey Pt. 2
- New Baptiste Ultimate Fully Covers Almost Every Choke
More about Dungeons & Dragons OnlinePost: "The Calligrapher – A short, free quest featuring hieroglyphic translation and a sinister Doppelganger" specifically for the game Dungeons & Dragons Online. Other useful information about this game:
- The Tale of the Canon Cannon
- A 4th Type of Encounter: Introducing the Terrain Encounter, combing Skill Challenges, Combat, Chases
- How to scare the bejeezus out of the party with Polymorph / Shapechange
- Don’t focus on doing accents for your characters, focus on doing VOICES
- My older brother (a 35 year old, fully grown man) is both combative with other players AND passive during gameplay. The other PCs are becoming combative toward him in turn. Can’t boot him from the game because I live with him and one of the other players. The situation sucks and I need help.
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.