I've seen this twice now with Kojima games. Both MGSV and Death Stranding hired big name, B list celebrities to voice their main characters. This is creating an obvious problem that sticks out to the players, and the reason is immediately apparent: Keifer Sutherland and Norman Reedus are expensive. Video games don't have the budget to bring them into the studio to record for days and days on end. Therefore they end up having to write a script for them to voice that is wildly truncated relative to their central role in a 20 hour long game. The result is an awkward, mute main character that stares silently at virtually every secondary character they come into contact with, while these NPCs are often having one of the most important, emotional, expository moments of their lives. The main character dialogue ends up being limited to thinly dispersed cut scenes and the occasional fixed expression reacting to something in gameplay, like Sam telling himself "Come on, Sam. Almost there," while hiking up a hill.
Wouldn't it be a better game experience to hire a solid voice actor, someone who doesn't cost a million dollars a day, so you can have them fill out all of the optional side-quests with natural sounding replies? Is the coolness factor of "Hey! Awesome! I'm totally playing as that guy from The Walking Dead!" really worth the awkwardness of his sparse dialogue? Every time he stands there silently staring at a character who is spouting his life story it immediately makes me picture Norman Reedus zipping through the recording booth in a day and hopping on a plane to do more TV shoots. It just takes me right out of the game.
- As open world games are becoming bigger and more dense, how can developers make the quests and other missions in these open worlds with as much quality as they can?
- Decline in character quality surrounding dialogue throughout the series
- Gamespot was right. 7/10 at best.
More about Gaming NewsPost: "Do big named actors ruin immersion in games?" specifically for the game Gaming News. Other useful information about this game:
- 6 months ago there was an article from Sony, claiming that “single player gaming is thriving”
- My first full experience with the Fallout games: Fallout 3(I posted it on the Fallout subreddit but thought of posting it here as well)
- Final Fantasy VII “Remake” is a bait and switch and Square Enix should have faced real backlash
- AC Revelations is a mixed bag for me.
- Big studios = fewer games, but smaller studios = more games
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.