Content of the article: "DUSK ruined DOOM (2016) for me"
I was so hyped to finally play Doom but I decided to wait until weekend and in the meantime I grabbed Dusk so I can have short 20min gaming sessions when I have a break. Weekend finally came and I booted up Doom, completed a few levels and turned it off, went right back to Dusk. Today I completed a few more Doom levels and again, went straight back to Dusk. I doubt I will play Doom again and here is why:
- Levels – All levels in doom are Tech Facility/Mars/Hell. They all look kinda samey. Compare that to Dusk that takes you from farms, to factories, to cities, to military bases, to mines, to forests, to alternate dimensions etc. Later levels get really crazy, laws of space and time do not apply in some of them and at some point you encounter a freaking BLOOD TORNADO. It is overall a lot more memorable.
- Level design. In doom every level has the same basic structure, a few arenas connected by a maze of passages. You know exactly where enemies will spawn, and you know exactly when you will fight, at all times you are in your comfort zone. Dusk will hurl you through a portal or a tunnel at the end of which 10 enemies have guns pointed at you. You will often get caught in traps. You spend the first few levels in big open areas around the farm. Then the game throws you in this claustrophobic mine with tight corridors and screaming witch enemies. It really throws you off. Then it throws you in a huge open area in front of a military facility where a bunch of soldiers are sniping you and you have to dodge their bullets in order to approach the facility. Later on it chooses our reality is too boring and throws you in another dimension. It really plays with you as much as you play the game.
- Horror elements. Dusk oozes atmosphere. It feels like an old 80s slasher flick where are guy goes on an insane rampage against an eldritch cult trying to summon Cthulhu. Doom feels like a bloodier version of Halo. Weapons, armor and some environments are very clean, slick, futuristic. It is not very heavy metal, it lacks the grime and grittiness doom 1 and 2 had.
Now I don't want to shit on Doom too much, it is still a great game and overall I understand why people like it. But for me, it doesn't scratch the shooter itch I have. So if anyone wants to try a fast, crazy true horror shooter, buy DUSK it is 17 dollars on steam and the guy who made it deserves every penny.
- Quake and Blood had a baby and it’s called DUSK
- DUSK: A Fresh Successor
- Playing Halo: CE for the first time… It starts amazing and gets worse as it goes on
© Post "DUSK ruined DOOM (2016) for me" for game Gaming News.
Top 7 NEW Games of June 2020
Quite a few exciting games are releasing for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo in June. Here's what to keep an eye on.
Top 10 NEW Open World Games of 2020
Video games with open worlds continue to roll out in 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and beyond. Here are some to look forward to!
Top 10 Best New Upcoming Games 2020-2021
The best selection of games which will be released in 2020 and 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Google Stadia and PC - and you can watch in amazing UHD 4K and 60FPS with latest updates about all of the games in this list!