Content of the article: "FEAR 3 – almost good"
+ Game looks great. I don't like realistic graphics, but this one is subtly stylish, uses colour and has a slight comicbook feel to it.
+ The gunplay feels great – the gun models, viewmodel animations, sound and visual effects tied to shooting and the time to kill all go together to make something surprisingly polished and satisfying
~ The game is very linear, but unlike, say, calla duty, it's not afraid of providing actual gameplay – you against waves of AI in an arena, rather than a sequence of Simon says scripted events.
– You need CheatEngine to change the FoV to something not vomit inducing and the key remapping menu is useless.
– The game's gameplay is hugely negatively impacted by the efforts to make it a cover shooter.
– The cover mechanic is broken – you still get hit through cover half the time
– Fast melee enemies are put into spaces that are too tight for you to stand a chance of avoiding getting your ankles annoyingly chomped on
– Enemies that follow you (and kill you when they catch you) are always put in places full of dead ends
+ You can skip the cutscenes
– You should really skip the cutscenes
+ Horror segments are mostly brief
– Horror segments range from boring to the most annoying part of the game
– Game's 4.5 hours long at best.
FEAR 3 is an inversion of the original in many ways. It excels at what the original fails at (grey visuals and airsoft-ass guns, non-gameplay horror segments that just go on and on) and switches some things around (the whole game isn't fighting 1 enemy type, it's a cover shooter and less tactical, regenerating health instead of healthkits) while failing at what people loved FEAR 1 for (the tactical gameplay, different arenas/scenarios to fight decent AI in).
A lot of that is the result of an attempt to fit in with the game's contemporaries, but here's something I don't get – FEAR 3 is way more competent than most of them, but still seemed to get bad reviews and it's completely forgotten. I'd much rather play this than, say, CoD: Black Ops.
The game even has asymmetric coop which affects the ending nobody cares about. That's so much more effort than typical military shooters of that generation.
Anyway, for a game I got for a dollar, I was really happy with it. For anything more, it's not worth it. It's a game worth playing, but not worth buying for anything but pennies.
- The original FEAR holds up incredibly well
- 2 to 4 Players Co-op – 2020 Experience
- Max Payne 3 is the worst Rockstar Game I have ever played.
© Post "FEAR 3 – almost good" for game Gaming News.
Top 7 NEW Games of June 2020
Quite a few exciting games are releasing for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo in June. Here's what to keep an eye on.
Top 10 NEW Open World Games of 2020
Video games with open worlds continue to roll out in 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and beyond. Here are some to look forward to!
Top 10 Best New Upcoming Games 2020-2021
The best selection of games which will be released in 2020 and 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Google Stadia and PC - and you can watch in amazing UHD 4K and 60FPS with latest updates about all of the games in this list!