How To Buy a Charger that Won't Destroy Your Switch
Ok so I just bought a new wall charger and was very nervous after hearing about the switches being bricked by cheap docks back in 2017/2018. But after doing some research I am going to share a summary of what I found and a very good resource. Everything seems to work for Switch and Switch Lite, but will edit if that appears to not be the case.
A Summary of the Internet's Research: A Two-Bullet TLDR;
There are 2 categories of wall chargers: 15W to 60W and then 65W to 100W
Dont ask me what happened to 0-15 and 60-65 idk sry
Anything under 60W that draws less than 3A is ok. (read: the switch can broker with any charger that provides up to 20V and 3A)
Anything that is over 65W is complicated: see explanation below.
What seems to be happening with these 65+W chargers is the Power Delivery protocol (PD) used to broker Voltage/Current between devices appears to not work (and this seems to be Nintendo's fault). There are ways to get around this: for example, use a cable that isn't spec'd for 5A (almost all USB-C to USB-C cables are spec'd for 3A max) to limit the max current (but from what I can tell, still need to be careful if a charger goes above 20V).
A Good Source and Where I Got Most of My Information
Like all good papers…
Here to read about info for the 65W chargers and the 3 amp rule.
Here to read about one engineer's perspective on the whole bricking matter.
1) Under 60W, max 3 amps
2) Research how to use a 65W Charger before you buy one (links above)
- /r/NintendoSwitch’s Daily Question Thread (06/25/2020)
- Ventures Re-balancing
- Witch Doctor Shadow Clones – Which build will be the best?
More about Gaming NewsPost: "How To Buy a Charger that Won’t Destroy Your Switch" specifically for the game Gaming News. Other useful information about this game:
- 6 months ago there was an article from Sony, claiming that “single player gaming is thriving”
- My first full experience with the Fallout games: Fallout 3(I posted it on the Fallout subreddit but thought of posting it here as well)
- Final Fantasy VII “Remake” is a bait and switch and Square Enix should have faced real backlash
- AC Revelations is a mixed bag for me.
- Big studios = fewer games, but smaller studios = more games
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.