Content of the article: "No, the recent LTT video did not compare AMD’s video encoding to Nvidia’s. Here’s an actual comparison."
This is really freaking weird and I don't know why I have to keep bringing this up, but I've now seen at least 20 people on this subreddit and elsewhere specifically citing this one very recent Linus Tech Tips video as evidence that AMD's video encoder sucks and Nvidia's is way better.
I am not an AMD fanboy
I do not own any AMD products, my PC is powered by Nvidia (GTX 1070) because I prefer them
AMD's video encoder may very well suck and Nvidia's may be way better, but that video isn't evidence of it
I just don't like bullshit and being unfair to competitors for bullshit reasons
Here's the section of the video everyone keeps linking:
I don't know if something Linus said earlier on implied he was going to be comparing NVENC to VCE, but that's very clearly labelled as a comparison between x264 and AMD's Encoder (which is actually called VCE not 'ReLive', Relive is the name of the software suite that implements VCE but that's just another mistake LTT made). x264 is the CPU encoding solution developed by Video Lan, that's right the VLC boys, and it ALWAYS looks better than GPU accelerated encoding, nvidia or AMD, which is why most dedicated full time streamers are going to be using a second CPU with software based x264 encoding for maximum quality. If you are using x264, you are, by definition, NOT using GPU accelerated encoding.
For some reason Linus was comparing AMD's VCE to a software based CPU encoder. I don't know why, that's hugely misleading since x264 always looks better than both. Or maybe he just mislabelled the video and actually meant to be comparing NVENC to VCE. So I went and checked and found a real comparison:
That's an A/B comparison between gameplay footage recorded in NVENC, and AMD's VCE. See if you can guess which one is which, or if you can even determine a favorite.
- Guide Full List: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
- 1080ti vs 3090 – Tested Escape From Tarkov, Streaming using SLOBs and more.
- Guide Full List: Subnautica
More about Gaming NewsPost: "No, the recent LTT video did not compare AMD’s video encoding to Nvidia’s. Here’s an actual comparison." specifically for the game Gaming News. Other useful information about this game:
- Sally Face, hand-drawn nightmare adventure dragged down by its arcade mini games
- AC Valhalla is a step in the right direction for the series, but still needs some polishing.
- I’m tired of the have your cake and eat it too type of PC gamer!
- An in-depth look at 18* unannounced PlayStation 5 exclusives | Including a new FROM SOFTWARE collab
- Nintendo wants to surpress fans and especially content creators
- Repost without poll: PS+ Vs. Gamepass Ultimate Vs. Switch online library
- I finished Surge 2 and I had a blast
- Will I lose my save files and access to games if I connect to the internet? (Locked out of PSN account)
- My thoughts on the God of War I and II
- Top games played on PSN in November 2020 + Check your PSN playtime!
Top 10 NEW Games of November 2020
November 2020 is filled with tons of games to pay attention to thanks to the upcoming launch of PS5 /Xbox Series X and beyond. Here's a roundup of the big ones.
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.