Content of the article: "Resi 2 – Not All That?"
I've just played through the original Resident Evil 2 on Dreamcast, in preparation for playing the new PS4 iteration.
I've somehow managed to play every "classic" RE title incl 1.5 without ever playing 2 (yeah, I don't know how that happened either). Fully expected to be blown away given how it's usually held up as the pinnacle of the series, but I kind of felt that it was a bit flat. Don't get me wrong, nothing particularly bad about it per se – just not brilliant. For balance, I played Code Veronica immediately beforehand so I had realistic expectations of what a traditional Resi game is like.
The difference between the two titles are for my mind; 1 – Characters and story – yeah the "Titanic" storyline of Claire and Steve is quite cheesy, as are the bad guys in CV – but at least there is character development and you feel for them. 2 – Environments – I think that the police station is obviously the iconic RE environment barring maybe the mansion, but it isn't as big as I expected it to be and I found the later environments largely forgettable. I felt like CV (whilst having lots of annoying back tracking) tried harder to make multiple creepy environments including a mansion without losing the military base feel. 3 – Bosses – there aren't many, and they don't really fit into the story – heck, the last boss in RE2 I think is just some random monster that appears, with no prior involvement in the story. When I saw the mutated plant in RE2 I thought "oh cool, there's gonna be a huge boss around the corner" but nope, nothing. 4 – Puzzles – again, pretty rudimentary and few and far between.
I'm not holding up CV as the best game in the series (I know that it's not), and it was technically also a generation later. I'd also add that I only played through Leon's campaign.
I just expected to be more blown away by RE2 than I was, and I don't think that it's aged particularly worse than any other RE game.
- Just played all four main Uncharted games for the first time. What a journey!
- It’s kind of dissapointing when a game (especially rpgs) have the story be such that everything prior to the (or a) final boss fight is effectively pointless
- Disappointed with Mass Effect
More about Gaming NewsPost: "Resi 2 – Not All That?" specifically for the game Gaming News. Other useful information about this game:
- Sonic Lost World for the 3DS actually follows up on its premise and is surprisingly great!
- VR should be kept away from consoles and only stay on PCVR or standalone headsets
- Videogames helped me appreciate sounds in real life more.
- How much more successful do you think the Wii U would have been had it just been called the Wii 2?
- PSVR2 – A hint from Sony themselves ?
- Literally 2 seconds. Literally 2 seconds. Literally 2 seconds. Literally 2 seconds. Literally 2 seconds. Literally 2 seconds. Literally 2 seconds. Literally 2 seconds.
- A Hat in Time is so adorably fun! Where are my fellow peck-necks at?
- Star Wars Jedi fallen order is perfectly average. The quintessential 7/10
- Wonderful 101 is everything I love (and hate) about Platinum Games
- Decision between console and PC
Top 10 NEW Games of November 2020
November 2020 is filled with tons of games to pay attention to thanks to the upcoming launch of PS5 /Xbox Series X and beyond. Here's a roundup of the big ones.
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.