Based on the works of /u/s0vs0v, I decided to make this thread on PS5 about the top 50 played games by PS5 players.
As a reminder, this comes from a panel of voluntary gamers who applied to have their time tracked by a bot.
Disclaimer: This does not represent the full picture of the entire PS5 playerbase, and only shows trends based on a non-representative sample of the PS5 owners.
As the PS5 playerbase is still small, I only take the top 50 games instead of the top 100, as those being from 51st to 100th have low player counts and some games can be pushed to the top thanks to a few people leaving the game idle while being in the PS5 UI menus (shoutouts to the 4 players of The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel IV).
Here's the top 50 most played games on PS5, based on 3694 active and voluntary PS5 users:
|#||Game||Hours Played||Players||Sessions||Avg Session|
|1||Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War||17562||945||11573||01:32|
|2||Call of Duty: Modern Warfare||11525||711||7872||01:28|
|5||Assassin's Creed Valhalla||8567||518||5283||01:38|
|6||Control: Ultimate Edition||8419||1160||6497||01:18|
|10||Grand Theft Auto V||4496||451||2873||01:34|
|12||God of War||3961||626||2915||01:22|
|15||Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales||3178||445||2460||01:18|
|16||Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege||3174||270||2432||01:19|
|18||Tom Clancy's The Division 2||3103||243||1830||01:42|
|20||Ghost of Tsushima||3004||334||2149||01:24|
|21||Overwatch: Origins Edition||2693||192||2089||01:18|
|23||ARK: Survival Evolved||2257||77||1059||02:08|
|24||Immortals Fenyx Rising||2128||166||1266||01:41|
|25||Dead by Daylight||2010||160||1718||01:11|
|29||Red Dead Redemption 2||1888||231||1507||01:16|
|30||Persona 5 Strikers||1884||147||1035||01:50|
|31||Final Fantasy XIV||1837||62||737||02:30|
|32||Persona 5 Royal||1630||98||910||01:48|
|33||Monster Hunter World: Iceborne||1481||144||659||02:15|
|35||Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered||1362||214||1189||01:09|
|36||Nioh 2 Remastered||1292||93||796||01:38|
|37||Star Wars Battlefront II||1282||153||959||01:21|
|40||The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited||1081||56||579||01:53|
|41||Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout||1077||318||1556||00:42|
|42||The Last of Us Part II||1002||152||659||01:32|
|43||Watch Dogs: Legion||998||121||676||01:29|
|44||No Man's Sky||995||118||665||01:30|
|46||Madden NFL 21||956||84||856||01:08|
|47||Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order||943||127||621||01:32|
|48||Sackboy: A Big Adventure||923||166||751||01:14|
- Thanks to Warzone, Zombies and still strong multiplayer components, the latest two Call of Duty games take 1st and 2nd place. In addition to their usual performance, both games benefitted from a sizeable boost at the end of the month, due to the launch of Season Two for Black Ops Cold War and Warzone. FIFA 21 completes the podium, helped with a nifty sale that started mid-month. (Note that the Warzone F2P client is a specific version of Modern Warfare and is listed as such.)
- A bunch of games also took advantage from a new season launch, a specific event or a content update during February: Destiny 2 had Season of the Chosen, Apex Legends launched its Season 8, Genshin Impact had its 1.3 Patch, Overwatch had its annual Lunar Year event and ARK had the Love Evolved 2 event. All these games progressed in the ranking compared to January.
- The performance of two other games stand out: God of War and Tom Clancy's The Division 2. These two have the strongest progression in hours played and player count compared to January, and for one good reason: these two games got a free PS5 compatibility patch in February! Most PS5 gamers were eager to try the graphical improvements for these games. The progression was even stronger for God of War, as it's available through the PS+ Collection. Also note, lower in the ranking, the appearance of Nioh 2 Remastered, which basically replaced the original Nioh 2. A free update was given for all owners of the game.
- Six titles make their appearance in the top 50 this month. The best-placed of them being Control: Ultimate Edition, which was a monthly PlayStation Plus game. 31.1% of the PS5 volunteers started it at least once in February, and they played it for a bit more than 7 hours in average. Which is a solid score for a PS+ free title!
- We can't say the same thing about the big multiplayer flagship that Destruction AllStars was supposed to be. Despite being #1 in terms of players who started the game (37.3% of the sample size!), it's only in 14th place in hours played. In average, each player who started the game at least once played it for less than 3 hours. For a multiplayer title, this is shockingly low – it shows the game didn't manage to capture these players and hold them. The concept of refreshing Destruction Derby to a new generation didn't stick with the players. We might see DAS going out of the top 50 in March, which would be a disaster for a multiplayer-centered game.
- Among new entrants, there was also Concrete Genie, which didn't attract as much as Control as part of the PS+ monthly offering. We've also talked about Nioh 2 Remastered earlier. Persona 5 Strikers, which released internationally on February 23, managed to get a spot in the top 50 despite being only available for less than a week in February. The final new title is peculiar: it's the free demo of Outriders, which released on February 25, and offers roughly the first 2-3 hours of the game with transferrable progression to the full game, due to hit the shelves on April 1.
- Free to play games continue to dominate the ranking, with 6 out of the top 11 (Warzone being part of Modern Warfare and Black Ops Cold War, Destiny 2, Apex Legends, Fortnite, Rocket League, and Genshin Impact). Besides God of War, Days Gone, the original Persona 5 and Bloodborne are the best-performing PS+ Collection games.
- I also want to address the case of Astro's Playroom which can be an interesting indicator: it represents the flow of new PS5 owners. As this is pretty much the first game anyone can play on a PS5 (especially as they need to wait for another game to install or download), it's a short solo game that players barely revisit once it's finished. As such, we can consider the majority of Astro's Playroom are newcomers who discover the features of the DualSense and also rediscover the history of PlayStation. That's why the game is 4th in terms of number of players: those are the people who finally got their hands on a PS5!
- When we see the games that go down the rankings from January, those who are hit the strongest are the single player games. Assassin's Creed Valhalla was in 1st place in January amongst PS5 players, but it dropped to 5th in February. other games suffer from steep drops: Maneater (-30 spots!), Cyberpunk 2077 (-17), Immortals Fenyx Rising (-16), Sackboy: A Big Adventure (-16), Demon's Souls (-12) or Borderlands 3 (-10). Strangely enough, No Man's Sky also suffered a huge drop (-11 spots) despite the Companions update dropping on February 17 – but it's mostly due to a very low activity early in the month, and coming back to better levels in the second half.
- To conclude this analysis, for any given game in this top 50, they have been played for 11 hours and 43 minutes in average throughout the month. Destiny 2 takes the crown of being the biggest time-consuming game of the month, with nearly 32 hours per player in average.
I hope you enjoyed this analysis, and see you in April!
- Division 2 hit 18 rank in top 50 games played in PS5.
- Top 50 most played games on PS5 by PS-Timetracker | March 2021
- Top 100 most played games on PS4 and PS5 by PS-Timetracker | March 2021
More about Gaming NewsPost: "Top 50 most played games on PS5 by PS-Timetracker | February 2021" specifically for the game Gaming News. Other useful information about this game:
- Yakuza 0 is one of the most intense and ridiculous games I have ever played.
- Up Next, 72 Steam Keys Giveaway
- Totally clueless guy hoping to get advice regarding Dolby/DTS comparison for his Arctis 9x that he just got to go with his Series X.
- Bless unleashed PC CBT first impressions
- Legend Of Heroes: Cold Steel broke me
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.