I have a confession, and here might be the place to do it. I effin' hate the Dark Souls series and what it has done to gaming.
I tried to hang with the real gamers, snagging a PS3 back in 2012 and playing Demons Souls. I thought, okay, if I just grind I can get strong enough and get better. No. No matter what I did, I hit a wall. I tried Dark Souls as that was the game everyone was talking about. No. The Wall. I switch platforms and tried it on Xbox 360 since that controller is a little better on my hands. No. THE Wall. I bought Dark Souls 2 as I heard it was easier. No. THE WALL.
I tried different games in the genre, like Lords of the Fallen. No. THE. WALL. I even tried a handful of nameless souls-like games, and every single time. WALL.
I didn't bother trying Bloodbourne, and now to be honest every time I hear the phrase "it's like Dark Souls" I just die a little inside. The Wall.
Sekiro, The Surge series, Nioh. No can do. I'm even antsy about picking up SW Jedi: Fallen Order from what I've heard.
I'll admit, I'm not the most patient man, but I grew up playing SNES platformers and my reflexes haven't gotten that shabby even though I'm now almost 40. But these souls games, I just can't do it. FPS games, most platformers (3d ones give me just a little trouble), action RPGs, none of these give me any real trouble. A couple of replays on an area or two, maybe a boss that gives me issues (or 99% of Control) But these Get Gud games, I gotta leave them to all of you out there that have that level of patience, timing, and dedication. My blood pressure can't take it.
TLDR: I can't Get Gud. Laugh at my inability, commiserate if you're in the same boat.
Minor clarification – I'm okay with not being able to hang with the DS crown skills-wise, my thanks for the encouragement from your responses to stay positive and not let it get me down. I am leery of games that bear the souls-like comparison going forward, though.
- Any games besides Final Fantasy where each installment takes place in a different universe?
- YSB any Dark Souls/bloodborne game
- Man the way the remake of demon souls came out killed my desire to try out the game
More about Gaming NewsPost: "True Life: I’m a Gamer Who Can’t Get Gud" specifically for the game Gaming News. Other useful information about this game:
- Update on “Publisher abuses – Steam’s Developer Code of Conduct” and takes down a guide from a reviewer that gave them a thumbs down review
- [Review Thread] Chicory: A Colorful Tale
- Coming Soon. We won’t hit our June 19th release date for Starfighter General, but I want to share you some techs that will be in updates over the next year.
- The Lion’s Song, a first point-and-click that I liked
- Lost Ark Information and Controversy. Civilized and friendly discussion (Long Thread)
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.