Content of the article: "What games do you play with your SO? I’m struggling to find a game to play with mine."
We've been spending a lot of time in lockdown lately, and it's been hard on my wife's mental health. She doesn't have much to do in her downtime and so she gets stuck watching random YouTube videos or playing phone games, trying to avoid getting stuck in her own mind and with negative thoughts and anxiety.
Recently my wife's therapist recommended we try to find a game to play together. My wife and I really enjoyed playing Fallout 76 together (yes, I know), but the Wastelanders update – which added human NPCs – killed the game for her (yes, I know)
The issues is that my wife and I enjoy dramatically different games, and it's very rare that a game comes out that actually ticks boxes for both of us.
For her, a game needs to meet these requirements:
- Co op, PVE, with minimal or no PVP.
- Some element of exploration.
- Preference for building and crafting.
- No "human on human violence." (Unless it's cartoony) This means she's happy to play games where we're fighting monsters, but not if you are fighting human NPCs. Ironically, the lack of human NPCs so many hated about 76 was a feature for her, and when they added them it killed it.
- Nothing scary. She tolerates zombie games sometimes but strongly prefers games that don't have extreme gore or jump scares.
- First person perspective. She gets motion sick trying to play games in third person.
- Female character model, preferably customised.
You can see how this already makes things a bit difficult. Unfortunately, the games I enjoy are things like Escape from Tarkov, Warframe, Red Dead Online. RIP.
Games we've tried:
- Fallout 76 (as already mentioned, hostile humans)
- State of Decay 2 (jump scares)
- Raft (peaceful but boring, even before we ran out of content)
- No Man's Sky (impossible to play co-op, more like singleplayer with friends)
- 7 Days to Die (jump scares)
- Red Dead Online (even with hostile human enemies, was okay until she accidentally punched a cat and killed it)
- Deep Rock Galactic (this one's on me, I just find it incredibly boring)
- Pulsar: Lost Colony (she got very bored)
- Green Hell (sanity mechanic was a bit much, hostile humans)
- Monster Hunter: World (we both don't really enjoy the fact we're hunting animals that didn't do anything to deserve it)
- Remnant: From The Ashes (third person perspective, possibly too hardcore)
- Empyrion: Galactic Survival (game just straight sucks)
- Destiny 2 (purely shooting without exploring or crafting doesn't do it for her)
- Borderlands (same problem as Destiny)
- Divinity: Original Sin (we enjoyed this for a bit but got really bored after a while)
- GTA Online (hackers and the insane money creep)
- Vermintide 2 (neither of us enjoyed this game)
- Project Zomboid (got a fair amount of play out of this but got bored)
- Stardew Valley (I got bored to death after a while)
- Elder Scrolls Online (MMO combat is shit)
- Neverwinter (MMO combat is shit)
- EVE Online (MMO combat is shit)
- TemTem (decent Pokemon clone but I don't think we like Pokemon I guess)
- Outward (a bit too hardcore for her I think)
There's likely many more I've forgotten to list. I feel like I've reached the bottom of the barrel, I've bought so many games and come up with very little at this point.
The really frustrating thing for me is that games exist that I think we'd love in co-op, they're just not fucking co op for some reason. Games like The Long Dark and Subnautica tick all of the boxes for both of us, but the developers seem to be dead set against people playing them together.
So my question is, have any of you had to tackle this issue? What games do you enjoy playing with your SO?
- WSIB on Switch similar to Kingdoms Two Crowns?
- Advice needed about jumping back into gaming
- SIB KOTOR on steam
© Post "What games do you play with your SO? I’m struggling to find a game to play with mine." for game Gaming News.
Top 7 NEW Games of June 2020
Quite a few exciting games are releasing for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo in June. Here's what to keep an eye on.
Top 10 NEW Open World Games of 2020
Video games with open worlds continue to roll out in 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and beyond. Here are some to look forward to!
Top 10 Best New Upcoming Games 2020-2021
The best selection of games which will be released in 2020 and 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Google Stadia and PC - and you can watch in amazing UHD 4K and 60FPS with latest updates about all of the games in this list!