I'm noticing a trend recently. With games that are more cartoonish or at least very colorful, people shit on it for copying Fortnite and being kid's trash. This extends to things like character designs, where it seems that people now associate very colorfully and decked out characters as appealing to the Gen Z kids.
One great example is ONRUSH. I've seen people say, "Oh its like Fortnite", even though its a completely different genre; just because it looks visual similar. It used as a negative, but why?
Did these people forget how dull games uses to look? Everyone seems to critical about the brown and gray era of games, but once we finally get games that look stunning, it isn't good enough?
Especially being that other games have a similar art style, like Overwatch, it weird that Fortnite is being used at the game to put down others; whether that is from people who love Fortnite or the ones who hate it.
Of course, I'm also not going to sit here and claim that this new art style shouldn't be critiqued. Some games overdo it, and for others like, VALORANT, even though is closer to this new art style, just feels very weak in presentation.
As much as I appreciate that 'brown and gray' style for horror and dark toned games, I just don't want to go back to what we had before. I love playing older games, but they have aged even more so with how incredibly dull they can look.
For example, Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days: they went for a internet video look, and it sucks so bad. It honestly looks worse than the original's games presentation as all the colors are off because I guess internet video don't look good. At least this new colorful art style will holds game's presentations for much more years to come.
Obviously, I've made my points. How do you feel about this new art style? Do you like it, or would you rather have a return of the brown's and gray's of generations before?
- Video games are an interactive medium that appeal to people in many personal ways when they interact with the games. So why is it that whenever somebody mentions a perspective that is unpopular, it is shunned?
- Is the rising skill gap due to people who’ve stayed consistent as gamers getting familiar with game mechanics?
- I’m trying to start a blog/online resource for patient gamers and I need your help
More about Gaming NewsPost: "Why does it seem that every game with a colorful art style get compared to Fortnite, in usually a bad way?" specifically for the game Gaming News. Other useful information about this game:
- What are good side quest design principles?
- Nic Kelman: “I am a gamer, and games helped me survive cancer – mentally, emotionally, and economically.”
- More and more I’ve come to respect developers whose major female characters don’t fall into one of these three tropes: Useless Damsel, Flawless Beautiful Strong Genius, or Wizened Mother Figure
- Ethics in games journalism is pretty awful, but Gamer gate has made it so no civil discussion can happen.
- Can we talk about the Last Guardian?
Top 7 NEW Games of February 2021
Looking for something new to play on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch in February 2021? Here are the notable video game releases.
Top 20 NEW Open World Games of 2021
2021 will bring us tons of open world games for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, Switch, and beyond. Here's what we're looking forward to.