In continuation to this post: Translations of the prophency mural at the ending : GodofWar (reddit.com) by u/halfhalfharp, I have discovered some things and have some notes. Yes, I know this is two years later, but I was really curious about these passages and decided to do my own research.
Old norse: Svik
Svik is more accurately 'betrayal' from what I've seen, BUT halfhalfharp might be onto something with this translation, we'll get back to this later.
There are two passages by the final mural that only Kratos sees, one of them halfhalfharp addresses:
ᛒᛚᛟᚦ ᚷᚢᚦᚫ ᛒᛚᛟᚦ ᚠᛖᚦᚱᚫ ᛏᚱᚢᚾᚫᚦᚱ ᛏᛜᚾᛞᛁᚾᚾ ᛖᚱᛖᚾᛞᛁ ᚠᚢᚾᛞᛁᛏ
(Bloð Guða Bloð feðra Trunaðr tngndinn Erendi fundit)
Translate: blood of gods, blood of father, in trust of something (tngndinn is not a proper word), errand is found.
I'll come back to this one later. The other passage you can see in the second image in this gallery:
It's broken and only shows some words but it says:
ᚺᛖᚱ ᛖᚱ ᚺᚹᛖᚱ
ᛚᚨᚢᚠᛖᛁ ᛏᚱᚢᚱ ᚦᛖᚲ
ᚹᛁᚦ ᛏᚱᚢᚢᛞ ᚨ ᛚᚨᚢᚠᛖᛁ
Translated into modern script:
hér er hwer…
Laufei trúr þek…
vissud (víst) vera
viþ trúud á Laufei
Possible translation: 1
Here you disappear…
Laufey the trusted knows…
Certainly, the way
Is with trust in Laufey
So this is just a possible translation. There's a lot of the passage missing and there is conjugation and declension that could change the way the words fit together, but after hours and hours of looking at this stuff, I'm pretty confident this is close. Disclaimer: where it says "disappear," the word is cut off, there are possible other words þek… could be but "disappear" made the most sense to me. 2
In the post I mentioned in the beginning, there was a couple of odd things. First, the word svik off to the side, means 'betrayal' but u/halfhalfharp says it means 'fraud.' I can't find any source that supports this meaning; however, betrayal seems odd considering the passage in part 2 that I translated. I would think it's more likely that the death of Kratos is fake i.e. fraud based on the way the giants say that they should trust in Laufey/Kratos.
There's a word halfhalfharp couldn't translate, ᛏᛜᚾᛞᛁᚾᚾ or tŋndinn. I have reached out to some experts and hope to have a better idea of what this word can be when they respond but it's possible this is another name for Odin himself. Óðinn or ᛟᛞᛁᚾᚾ does not look too dissimilar in my opinion. 3
Yet another possibility, and this might be a stretch, is that tŋnðinn is a kenning (compound expression) for 'Tyr, Son of Odinn.' I say this is a stretch because the middle part, ŋn, does not look particularly close to any word for son, burr/sonr/niðr.
Another odd word is 'fundit.' It can mean 'found' but it can also mean 'complete.'
The passage would then be:
Bloð Guða Bloð feðra Trunaðr tngndinn Erendi fundit
Blood of the gods, blood of the fathers, trusted Tyr, the mission is complete.
Blood of the gods, blood of the fathers, with faith* in Tyr, mission is found.
* Trunaðr means 'faithful/faithfulness' in Icelandic
** Funnily enough, Trunaðr also has another meaning. Split into trú naðr, it can mean trust the serpent. tŋnðinn most likely does not refer to Jormungandr/Midgardsommr though, the names are quite different.
If this is the case, it would be supported by the giants using a similar adjective for both Tyr and Laufey/Kratos, trunaðr/trúr.
- Vikings of Bjornstad – English to Old Norse Dictionary – this is not the only source i used for words, but it was the most extensive dictionary
- Old Norse Online (utexas.edu) – some info on grammar, conjugation, declension
- Fundinn – Nordic Names Wiki – Name Origin, Meaning and Statistics – source for there being another kenning for Odin
Edit 1: for some reason, after i posted, the words combined in the quotations, so that's fixed
- The plot against Odin: Did Mimir and Laufey use Kratos to start Ragnarok?
- The plot against Odin. Did Mimir and Laufey deceive Kratos into starting Ragnarok? **spoilers for god of war and potential spoilers for next game.**
- (God of war)The plot against Odin.( spoilers!!) Is Mimir trustworthy? Did Mimir and Laufey deceive Kratos into starting Ragnarok?
More about God of WarPost: "I’ve translated more of the mural in Jotunheim" specifically for the game God of War. Other useful information about this game:
- In your opinion, what did the Original trilogy do better than the reboot, and what did the reboot do better than the original games?
- (Light Spoilers) If the series eventually went into different mythologies, which one would you like to see explored the most?
- God of War Norse Mythology Timeline Theory
- Does anyone else get bored with the amount of grinding in Muspelheim and Nifilheim?
- My only gripe
Top 7 NEW Games of February 2021
Looking for something new to play on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch in February 2021? Here are the notable video game releases.
Top 20 NEW Open World Games of 2021
2021 will bring us tons of open world games for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, Switch, and beyond. Here's what we're looking forward to.