Content of the article: "Tried Codename 47 – is it worth continuing?"
So I've never played these games before, and a few months ago I got the Hitman Collection along with some other games on Steam at a stupidly low price. A few days ago I booted up Codename 47 (on the easiest difficulty) and gave it a shot.
Well, I did the tutorial plus 2 levels of the game, failed level 3 several times, and so far I'm really not impressed. At virtually every stage, starting with the last bit of the tutorial, I've invariably gotten stuck failing repeatedly to the point where I had to look up a walkthrough- and the instructions given in the walkthrough always consisted of something ridiculously detailed and specific, that I couldn't possibly reason out, and that needs to be executed in exactly the right way within some narrow time limit. Oh, and there's no save/load, so every screw-up boots me back to the start of the level.
I'm not sure what I was expecting, I guess something along the lines of Thief but with killing instead of stealing. (Which is pretty much how I played Thief anyway, and I quite enjoyed it.) But what I'm seeing so far seems to be a puzzle game where the puzzles have no rules and behave more like interactive cutscenes where I'm expected to somehow know in advance exactly what my role in each cutscene is, and mercilessly punished for any deviation from that role. The game doesn't come across as being designed to be either fun or (reasonably) winnable.
So I guess my questions are:
- Is there something I'm just not getting about how to play Codename 47? Some way of understanding and approaching it that turns it into an actual game instead of an exercise in following walkthroughs to the letter?
- Should I bother continuing with this game, given how my experience of it has gone so far?
- Are the remaining games (I have Silent Assassin, Contracts, Blood Money and Absolution) any less annoying and arbitrary? I usually like to do things in order, but it wouldn't be the first time I skipped an unplayable game in order to get to its far better sequel.
- As someone who was extremely hyped for Ninjala, I have to say this was the WORST introduction to a game I have EVER gotten…
- Creation Kit – Help Needed!
- How does one become “good” at a game?
More about HitmanPost: "Tried Codename 47 – is it worth continuing?" specifically for the game Hitman. Other useful information about this game:
- Mission/location ideas
- Theory: The new revealed location is suppose to be Hong Kong, but it is changed to Chongqing mid development. Here’s why:
- Why i think that Murder Of Crows is One of the Most Unique and best Levels In Hitman Franchise?
- Thread with DLC ideas or ideas for HITMAN III (Includes spoilers from the Hitman movies)
- Hitman 3 Target Speculation
Top 10 NEW Games of December 2020
December 2020 is the final big bang month of the year for game releases on PC, PS5, PS4, Series X, Xbox One, and Stadia.
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.