I created a 12 team World Cup tournament to see how competitive teams would be if players could only play for their country. The results were surprising.
Non-first division teams are labeled in red.
Before continuing, please note that this is just a first draft at what the teams might look like. Of course, the coaches of these respective countries would know better than me as to how to structure and draft their lineups to bring to an international stage.
Now, the first two things that initially shocked me were:
- **Denmark is extremely strong.**This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who knows about
, but it is definitely still surprising to see that this team might even be a favorite to win the whole tournament.
- **Most teams had fully professional rosters.**When I was first building this list I suspected that I would have to pull many players from Academy or EU Masters to fill out the European rosters, however, in the end only 5 academy/masters players were called up to start for their country.
In the past, we have seen teams swap in and out players from their bench to great success. In 2015 SKT would
And in 2018, FNC
and eventually reached the finals. In this tournament, the amount of star power on the benches of some of these teams means that we could see completely new strategies develop around player swapping just to utilize the full potential of these rosters.
Other eSports leagues have already produced international tournaments, one of the most famous being the Overwatch World Cup. South Korea has won 3 titles (as expected), but in 2019, South Korea didn't even make the finals, and instead USA beat China 3-0. So even though the LoL bracket seems stacked in the favor of South Korea (as it always does), you never know what could happen.
My top 4 global power rankings based on this line up would be
- South Korea
with dark horses Taiwan and Sweden
If anyone with more knowledge than me could come up with a full global power rankings list please do so and I'll edit this post.
A lot of people seem to think MSI is just KR, CN, EU and NA. If you look at the whole MSI bracket you will see that the bottom 7 teams are much worse than any team in the World Cup Tournament. Thats why I wrote that this tournament is much more competitive than MSI.
If this tournament reached relative importance equivalent to something like the FIFA World Cup then it would be a valid reason to maintain import rules in major regions. As of right now, there is not really any practical incentive.
- ESL DreamHack SC2 Masters Fall begins tomorrow, Wednesday the 26th ( + reminders on GSL and ASL)
- Bracket Draw / 2020 World Championship – Knockout Stage / Post-Draw Discussion
- LCS Playoff Bracket Breakdown- What each team needs to go to finals or worlds
More about League of LegendsPost: "League Of Legends World Cup – More Competitive than MSI?" specifically for the game League of Legends. Other useful information about this game:
- CN reaction to Cloud9 vs PSG: “Let’s go home C9”
- MSI 2021 Rumble Stage / Round 2 – Day 2 / Live Discussion
- Garena SEA once again utilizing predatory sales tactics, this time locking the new Arcana skins behind a gacha system for the first week
- I have a question for top and mid in plat elo
- Chinese Reactions to Royal Never Give Up vs Damwon Gaming (MSI 2021 Rumble Stage Day 1 Match 1)
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.