Hi! This is just a copy of an old post for MHGen format-wise at least Source
These are the "relevant" picks for Raw/Elemental/Status gameplay, for progression just stick to Raw gameplay and Iron Tree or Kamura Tree, Bishaten HR SnS can reach white with Handicraft 1 so use that if you want.
I will also include a bunch of "Template" sets at the bottom.
Heavily Recommended using Speed Sharpening 3 if available.
Important thing to note before this, Raw SnS Gameplay focuses primarely on Shield Bash x3 -> Reaper Slash & Metsu Shoryugeki, this style of gameplay doesn't use a whole lot of Sharpness so 30 hits of Blue or White are honestly fine as long as you dont want to cut a tail and just stick to the head of the Monster.
– Good Raw (180), +30% Affinity, White Sharpness & can't use handicraft, 2-0-0 Slots – Extremely High Raw (230), -5% Affinity, Blue Sharpness & can't reach white, No Slots – High Raw (220), Long Green Sharpness & can reach white, 1-1-0 Slots
Out of these basically pick Spiked Bat or Flash in the Night, Commander's Dagger is pretty bad without Handicraft to reach white, Spiked Bat is only for Shield Bash gameplay.
Narga can be used for either style, Shield Bash or Slash style, if you pick Slash style this baby has 30 Hits of White and 60 of Blue so there's plenty of hits before you have to Sharpen, this SnS can also use the Drill Slash switch skill if Shoryugeki windows aren't easy to land (i.e Magnamalo).
Prelude: Elemental is very hard to play as SnS due to the very limiting Sharpness and how hard is to slot important skills, overall I'd say just play Raw SnS for the time being, easier to build and comfier. We might get new or upgraded options once Tittle Updates start arriving.
Gameplay for Elemental is what SnS used to play before World, just use the Slash combo.
Switch skill are Drill Slash & Windmill (Shield attacks don't do Elemental or Status)
– Good Raw (190), Good Element (23), Blue Sharpness & can't reach white, No Slots – High Raw (220), Good Element (21), Blue Sharpness & can't reach white, -20% Affinity, 2-1-0 Slots – Very Low Raw (140), Mediocre Element (19), Blue Sharpness & can reach white, 3-1-0 Slots – Good Raw (190), Mediocre Element (17), Long Green Sharpness & can reach Blue, 1-1-1 Slots
Really bad options overall, pick Gnashing if you need the slots, otherwise stick to Djinn II, don't use Secta Unu or Burly Beak please.
– Low Raw (160), High Element (27), Small Blue Sharpness & can reach white, 2-1-1 Slots – Good Raw (190), Mediocre Element (19), Blue Sharpness & can reach white,+15% Affinity, 1-0-0 Slots – Low Raw (170), Very High Element (33), Blue Sharpness & can reach white, 3-0-0 Slots
Use Royal Claw for the slots but nothing else.
Kurenawi & Master Odyssey are the go-to picks depending if you want to get more elemental damage or more raw damage out of it, Kurenawi has longer Shaprness and 15% Affinity.
– High Raw (200), High Element (27), Blue Sharpness & can reach white, 1-1-0 Slots – Low Raw (170), Good Element (23), Blue Sharpness & can reach white, 2-2-0 Slots – High Raw (210), Mediocre Element (17), Long Green Sharpness & can reach Blue, -15% Affinity, 3-0-0 Slots – Good Raw (180), Very High Element (33), Blue Sharpness & can reach white, No Slots
Despot's is the clear winner here, not even a question, furthermore it has Thunder Boost (+6) as Ramp up Skill matching it with Thunderbolt Sword I, Theres simply no better pick than Despot's
– Very Low Raw (150), Very High Element (30), Very Small Sharpness Blue & can reach white, 1-1-1 Slots – Low Raw (160), Good Element (20), Blue Sharpness & can reach white, +35% Affinity, 2-1-0 Slots – Very Low Raw (140), Mediocre Element (19), Blue Sharpness & can reach blue, 3-1-0 Slots – Very High Raw (220), Very Low Element (11), Very Small Sharpness Blue & can't reach white, 2-0-0 Slots
Just like with Thunder, there's only one clear winner here that one being Nardebosche, for its Ramp Up either pick Attack IV (+10) or Affinity II (+6%).
– Good Raw (190), Good Element (24), Blue Sharpness & can reach white, 3-1-0 Slots – Good Raw (190), Very Low Element (12), Very Long Blue Sharpness & can reach white, No Slots
Tough choice here due to Azure's having Dragon Up III (+8) as Ramp Up making it a respectable 20 Element wep, no slots.
Pick Either Azure or Secta Unu Black depending if you need or not the slots or you want longer sharpness.
– Good Raw (180), Very High Status (30), Small Blue Sharpness & can reach white, 2-1-0 Slots – Very High Raw (210), Good Status (24), Small Blue Sharpness & can reach white, +10% Affinity, No Slots – Very Low Raw (140), Very High Status (34), Long Green Sharpness & can reach blue, 1-1-0 Slots
Use Princess Rapier if you want to use Poison, otherwise all choices here are bad.
Princess Rapier gets the pass due to its high Raw and Possitive affinity, but bad sharpness overall.
– Low Raw (160), Mediocre Status (19), Blue Sharpness & can reach white, 1-1-1 Slots – Extremely Low Raw (130), Very High Status (33), Green Sharpness & can reach White, 3-0-0 Slots
Oof. Only real option is Secta Unu Green with Paralysis II (+4) Ramp Up.
Don't. Hub Quests have insanely bloated HP Values (Avg: 15,000 HP) and sleep bombing is now a thing of the past, might be worth it if your teammates are using HBG with wyvern ammo to wake up the monster.
– High Raw (200), High Status (26), Blue Sharpness & can reach white, 2-1-0 Slots
Literally the only option, pretty good weapon overall, pair with either Hellfire Cloak & Magnamalo Soul or just pick Attack Boost III as Ramp Up.
– Good Raw (190), No Element or Status, Blue Sharpness & can't reach white, No Slots
Rampage sword is a weird one, it has 3 slots for Ramp Up Skills
- First Slot: Attack Boost II (+6), Elemental Boost II (+5), Affinity Boost II (+6%), Defense Boost (+20), Sharpness Type I & Sharpness Type II
- Second Slot: Non Elemental Boost (+10 Attack),
II which imbues the weapon in that element and grants +15 Element, which imbues the weapon with the status and grants +10 Status.
- Third Slot: Attack Surge (+20% Attack & -30% Affinity), Affinity Surge (+20% Affinity, -10 Attack)
If you make it full raw (ABII + Non Ele Boost + Attack Surge) the stats look like this: 226 Raw, -30% Affinity.
Alternatively (ABII + Non Ele + Affinity Surge) the stats look like: 196 Raw, +20% Affinity.
Or if you want to make it an elemental weapon it'll have 190 Attack, 20 Element OR 15 Status, you can either pick Attack or Affinity Surge here, Affinity Surge is -10 Raw but +20% Affinity.
Overall this weapon is not good, future TU will make the rampage sword better as it starts to get more options from the new Apexes and such but at the time being (v1.1.2) it's bad.
Note: You can play whoever you want with the set you want, please don't harass others online over sets they're using, this is just what I've playtested + some YT Videos on specific runs
Raw Set has a Template already (Zinogre Helm / Whatever Mail / Rath Arms / Anja Coil or Rath Coil / Golden Hakama & WEX2 Charm) so we'll skip that alongside it's alternatives.
Elemental Set Skills: Attack Boost, Elemental Attack Boost, Critical Eye, Weakness Exploit, Razor Sharp, Protective Polish, Quick Sharpen and Critical Boost.
Channeler's Hair-tie S or Utsushi Mask (H) S / Zinogre Chest S / Rathalos Arms S / Anjanath Coil S / Ingot Greaves S
Minimum Charm: WEX2
Reccomended Charm: WEX2 with Slots
Decorations: Elemental Attack Jewel x5, AB Jewel x1, Open one Lv2 Slot plus Charm & Weapon
Alternatively you can run: Death Stench Mask S / Zinogre Chest S / Rathalos Arms S OR Magnamalo Arms S / Anjanath Coil S / Ingot Greaves S
Minimum Charm: WEX2
Reccomended Charm: WEX2 with Slots plus Elemental Attack as a 2nd Skill
This runs Protective Polish Lv1 and you can slot Quick Sharpen if your charm slots or weapon allows it but overall is very uncomfy to use, Magnamalo Arms give Handicraft 2 which for some weapons is enough to reach 10 points of White and for others its just extra sharpness.
- Crit Element vs Critical Boost vs Attack Boost on DBs
- Elemental SnS vs Raw SnS
- elemental GS is still bad, apparently. in other news, waterblight still wet.
More about Monster Hunter WorldPost: "SnS Weapon & Elemental Sets Overview" specifically for the game Monster Hunter World. Other useful information about this game:
- Screw affinity: A super comfy SnS set that has higher raw than Narga, all without needing a god charm
- Bow is Bugged and Overturned – You might know why it’s bugged but how is it overturned? A Mathematical explanation on Bow damage in Rise.
- LS Wirebug and Switch Skills
- HH Build Guide: Wild Grunt (AKA Bullfango/Pig Horn)
- A Beginner’s Guide to HBG, Build included
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.