This was my go-to guide to get locked 30FPS on my GTX970. I now have a 1070, and with the same settings I get just under 70fps average so I'm able to vsync to a locked 60 which is great. I'm wondering if there's anything I can tweak here that would give a decent visual boost for not much performance loss. Thanks.
P.S. just to refresh myself, if I want to tweak the settings.xml file I need to edit it and then set it to read only so the game doesn't change it back right?
Refresh Rate: 30
Screen Type: FULLSCREEN
Triple Buffering: Ideally ON as it helps with frame pacing, but set everything else first and make sure you can maintain 30 fps beforehand because this can use resources.
Pause Game On Focus Loss: ON
Constrain Mouse Pointer: ON
Quality Preset: CUSTOM
Texture Quality: ULTRA
Anisotropic Filtering: x16
Lighting Quality: Medium
Global Illumination Quality: HIGH
Shadow Quality: HIGH
Far Shadow Quality: MEDIUM
Reflection Quality: MEDIUM
Mirror Quality: HIGH
Water Quality: CUSTOM
Volumetric Quality: CUSTOM
Particle Quality: HIGH
Tessellation Quality: ULTRA
Graphics API: Vulcan
Near Volumetric Resolution: LOW
Far Volumetric Resolution: MEDIUM
Volumetric Lighting Quality: MEDIUM
Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: OFF
Particle Lighting Quality: HIGH
Soft Shadows: OFF (they look terrible)
Grass Shadows: HIGH
Long Shadows: ON
Full Resolution SSAO: OFF
Water Refraction Quality: MEDIUM
Water Reflection Quality: HIGH
Water Physics Quality: HALF
Resolution Scale: OFF
TAA Sharpening: Full.
Motion Blur: This is optional, but I chose to leave it on. Whipping the camera around at 30FPS can look pretty choppy and this effect hides it. I imagine this is why consoles use it.
Reflection MSAA: OFF
Geometry LOD: 4 out of 5
Grass LOD: 6 out of 10
Tree Quality: ULTRA (reported issues by people if it's lower than this)
Parralax Occlusion Mapping Quality: HIGH
Decal Quality: ULTRA
Fur Quality: HIGH
Tree Tessellation: OFF
Optional: Some say that modifying the deepsurfaceQuality>kSettingLevel to Ultra in the .xml file in "DocumentsRockstar GamesRed Dead Redemption 2Settings" gives free visual improvement to the ground as well.
- the async compute thing sometimes works, sometimes doesnt
- there's a line in the xml "deepsurfaceQuality>kSettingLevel" that some say setting to ultra gives free visual improvement
- Ultra textures are a must, anything else looks like crap
- I say soft shadows should be off, I don't know why you would want this. But yes, if you insist use ultra.
- lighting quality should be medium for most.
- tessellation quality should be ultra
- taa should only be on medium, high just makes things blurry.
- you can edit the sharpness value in the xml to something higher than 1.0, but you have to make the file read only or it will reset
- the nvidia sharpening definitely sharpens, but makes things look grainy too so you can experiment with that.
- vulkan seems to be the better choice in 95% of cases
- volumetric lighting takes a huge toll, near should be set to low for most people, the rest on medium.
- unlocked volumetric raymarch should be off
- water refraction should be medium, and water physics half or less
- 6/10 for grass lod seems to be the sweet spot, any higher and it starts doing extra shadow calculations that add very little for a high cost
- tree tessellation should be off
- tree quality should be ultra, any less and there can be a shimmering effect
- i believe there's still a bug if you have particle effects higher than medium which will make train smoke disappear
- For those of you with a 5700XT, here is how to get a 60fps lock while keeping the breathtaking graphics
- Hidden PC options file?
- How I managed to run Ultra textures on 3GB VRAM with (almost) full 60 fps!
More about Red Dead Redemption (RDR2)Post: "Haven’t played in a year, has anything changed as far as graphics optimization? Settings experts please join me." specifically for the game Red Dead Redemption (RDR2). Other useful information about this game:
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.