Content of the article: "Data-Interception Gameplay Prototype"
Some may recall my post last month
My speculation on what data-interception gameplay might be like for ships like the Mercury Star-Runner, Terrapin and Herald.
Well, I've been busy building it!
What you see in the attached video is roughly what I would have the player in the MSR Scanner Chair experiencing, albeit with much much lower quality graphics.
The broad gist:
Data streams in continuously and is buffered in the top-right section (notifications in the "cmd line" area at the top)
The buffer has a limited capacity, so it's a good idea to work quickly or risk missing out on something more valuable.
The data is slowly decrypted in the main window.
The size, type, title and then content are revealed slowly, similar to way Scanning in the actual game reveals things piecemeal.
At any point, the player can opt to discard the data, or archive it.
Discarding is fairly self-explanatory, we throw out whatever is in the data-block and move on to the next.
Archiving saves it to the ship's data storage. This is shown in the lower-right block on a coloured grid.
In my application, we get a breakdown of what the player has collected and its credit-values at the end. But this would normally be seen when the contents of the ship's data-archive is sold at a terminal, similar to Mining/refineries.
All values are subject to change, and most of the time the data passing through would be trivial and low-value. So a ship would need to stay on station a while or be very lucky to get valuable military/corporate data.
There are two main limits on this ingame.
1. The ship's data-storage has limited capacity, so picking and choosing what you Archive is important.
2. Time-pressure in the form of security forces and defences coming to physically stop you.
Let me know what you think!
- Clan Battles Season 10 – Ship distribution week 1+2
- PS4 to PS5 Data Transfer Error (Just avoid it if possible)
- Idea for a Skyrim LE / SE Mod Tree Database
More about Star CitizenPost: "Data-Interception Gameplay Prototype" specifically for the game Star Citizen. Other useful information about this game:
- Since the Nomad has big cargo, can we get this back now?
- A revised supposition regarding my loved Aegis Vanguard Warden
- The Implications of Physicalized Inventory for Ship Parts…
- Lore Theory for Polaris/Perseus
- PSA: Ship Despawn Prevention 2.0
- A case for changing the way we fly
- UPDATED: I posted a comparison of the different Razors the other day and some of you asked me to compare them against the Origin racers (now with graphs!)
- Not that I want to blame anyone, and I know many things are made that way for gameplay and art reasons, but this still kind of bothers me …
- 13 years since
- CIG- Its time to address that you have a Hydrogen Fuel Problem
Top 10 NEW Games of November 2020
November 2020 is filled with tons of games to pay attention to thanks to the upcoming launch of PS5 /Xbox Series X and beyond. Here's a roundup of the big ones.
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.