TLDR: Added massive vibrations to my left stick.
I have an issue. I have a full VKB setup: dual GF with SCG, rudders, monster tech mounts. Two 32" screens and eye tracking.
But I'm still bad. Of course I could practice, but I think we all know what I really need in order to get better: what I really need is more gear.
Jokes aside, I've always been annoyed at my difficulty to perceive speed in SC. I love racing but I struggle SO MUCH. I honestly think it's the HUD, the vector indicator is almost transparent, so your eyes have to constantly be looking for it, going back and forth from the vector indicator to the speed, and to where your actual nose is pointing. Of course it gets worse in space combat, as you have now to find your enemies, and with IR moving your head makes it even worse (but at least in empty space you don't have to avoid buildings).
So I took pointers from Sim Racers, and looked into transducers to convey speed through vibrations.
- Bought a Nobsound mini usb amplifier, hooked it up to my computer
- Attached the transducer below my joystick base (had no wood lying around so at first using zip ties, now stick it with cardboard and double side tape, so ghetto)
- Tested it with the aux entry of the Nobsound, it worked.
- So I installed the free Voicemeeter Potato (I think Banana version might be enough)
- setup the sound card as device A5
- put a low pass filter on said device
- routed Main sound to A5
- routed computer sound to VoiceMeeter
A video makes a poor job at conveying vibrations of course. So the volume is really dialed up. At the beginning there's sound coming from the headset, I cut it at the end (26s in).
So initially it was to feel the ship thrusters right? But this feels amazing. The massive thuds when firing, the whirring of the engine, the shaking when a ship explodes close to you. I though I would put it not too loud, but at ridiculours levels, this is SO IMMERSIVE, for so little investements.
I ordered a second one for my right hand. I'll definitly be adding shakers to my rudders as well as soon as I have them mounted on something.
You could also use something like this and connect the sound from an unused audio output (a screen for example).
PS: I'm fully expecting vibrator jokes.
- Voicemeeter Audio Sync / Delay
- BSG, sound right now is broken and has to be fixed ASAP
- PC: Audio producer hobbyist here. What on earth have they done to the in-game audio?
More about Star CitizenPost: "Immersion : How to add vibrations to your joysticks" specifically for the game Star Citizen. Other useful information about this game:
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.