Content of the article: "If religion is implemented as a mechanic, materialism/spiritualism should be rebranded to not be associated with it."
Currently, the materialist-spiritualist ethics are a stopgap for the lack of religious mechanics in the game, and not a terribly good one. They don't really fit in with the other ethics, all of which relate to political matters in one way or another, while those two are about the nature of reality. Not to mention how they limit the type of empire you can build; you can't have a techno-cult with the current spiritualist ethic, and the omnissiah is displeased with that.
So I propose that if/when religion is implemented, the option to have a state religion is separate from ethics and that materialism/spiritualism is rebranded to progressivism/traditionalism respectively. Instead of focusing on religious matters, they would focus on the nature of cultural, political, and especially technological change; progressives would be supportive of change, believing it to be ultimately positive and necessary, while traditionalists would be suspicious of it, believing rapid change leads to the undermining of society's values and it's eventual collapse. It would require a LOT of rewriting dialogue, but they completely revamped the entire economic system before so I believe they could do it.
The main advantages of doing this are thus:
- Frees up ethics slots for more religion building flexibility. You could play a shared-burdens militarist theocracy going on Freedom Jihads™ across the Galaxy.
- It allows for more AI personalities. At the moment, I can't really think of any more interesting personalities with the current ethics and civics, and the game is in need of more diversity on that front. An idea I have is a traditionalist personality type that gives special opinion modifiers depending on how long your current diplomatic status has been active. IE if you've been a friend for a long time, you get another positive modifier.
- More civics, which I think is always good to have. A possible one for traditionalists would be "Chivalrous Society," which would give bonuses/maluses depending if the empire is acting honorable or not.
- It would separate psionics from being a religion primary-thing, which is just weird.
- You could play the mechanicus.
- Internal Politics could be improved
- [Update] Viable Feudalism and Imperialism – Empire Federation
- “Lost Colony” origin: Any way for the player to customize the Advanced Empire that spawns?
More about StellarisPost: "If religion is implemented as a mechanic, materialism/spiritualism should be rebranded to not be associated with it." specifically for the game Stellaris. Other useful information about this game:
- The Ultimate Mod
- I feel like this game has so many choices offered to players simply to deter them with pointlessly tedious micros.
- What are the everyday life like in your empires?
- Horizon Signal cheese tips [2.8+]
- Hunters Crisis
- Struggling as Necrophage Fanatic Purifier
- Way, Way, WAAAY Too Many Thoughts on Necrophage (Strategy, Synergy, etc.)
- So I decided to play with a x25 crisis. My game ended with stagnation, economic crisis, drugs, poor decisions and acceptance.
- Stellaris might do well with a slow-FTL period
- Industry standards
Top 10 NEW Games of November 2020
November 2020 is filled with tons of games to pay attention to thanks to the upcoming launch of PS5 /Xbox Series X and beyond. Here's a roundup of the big ones.
Top 10 Best Video Games of 2020 (So Far)
In times of uncertainty, video games allow us to escape from the stress of the real world. For this list, we’ll be looking at some of the best games released in the first half of 2020.