(Image below) So I was experimenting with procuring an unlimited source of minerals, and came across the idea of 'farming' Rock Punchers.
To clarify: Rock Punchers have a ‘feeding’ animation where they dig up a rock and eat the rockgrubs on it, then toss the rock aside. This rock acts like a mineral outcrop you can break for resources, and represents the ONLY known renewable mineral resource to my knowledge. It’s like Sea Treaders, but more useful.
I did a couple of experiments and found the following:
- Only wild Rock Punchers will do. Tank-bred ones do not exhibit the typical feeding behaviour that creates breakable rocks.
- You need a natural floor for the rock punchers to feed. The game unfortunately does not count Foundations as a valid 'rock spawning' surface.
- Rock Punchers can jump at least 3 Compartments high, so either cover the top with more buildings or build a 'fence'.
- Build the Compartments as low to the ground as possible. If the space under a compartment can be filled with a foundation, it's big enough for the puncher to escape so build that foundation.
- You need the Prawn's Propulsion arm to
abductacquire wild Rock Puncher specimens for the enclosure.
- Rocks only disappear when touching a natural floor. If the rock lands on any player-made surface, they stay there effectively forever.
- Rock Punchers can sometimes see and punch you through the walls so grow shrubnuts for healing.
- Gather the rocks from below, through the gaps between the building legs. This way the rockpunchers won't jump UP to attack you, and the building may even protect you.
- The rocks they produce cannot be picked up with a propulsion cannon or grav trap nor broken by a Prawn Suit, you have to manually go in and break them. They produce only Titanium, Copper, Silver and Gold as far as I can tell.
Update: Tested grav traps as u/dtrickk suggested. Did not work.
- there has never been a tale of such woe as that of Juliet and that asshole Susan.
- I recently discovered a few issues/bugs. Spoilers ahead, you have been warned.
- What the new building system will change
More about SubnauticaPost: "Rock Puncher Research Centre & Mining – Unlimited Minerals!" specifically for the game Subnautica. Other useful information about this game:
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.