Content of the article: "Can Someone Help Me Fix My Lag/Crash Issue Please Please Please"
*Edit to correct a broken link (sorry)*
I'm using the Living Skyrim modlist by Forgotten Glory (downloaded using Wabbajack). I have played this modlist in the past (a previous version of LS), and I had the same issues as I'm having now–it took me over a month of adjusting the settings to finally get it running smoothly. Unfortunately, I've reinstalled Skyrim since this (and this is a new version of the modlist), so I don't have those settings to go by for reference, and I made so many adjustments I don't recall what actually fixed the issue.
I am pretty sure the problem is related to DYNDOLOD (I say this but also I have one braincell and am actually not pretty sure of anything). I do know that I have no issues at all when I'm in an interior space, but when I go outside, my character seems to move faster than the terrain loads. I'll reach a point where I'm on the road and the surrounding environment hasn't rendered yet. It causes major lag when it happens, and I'll have to stop and wait for it to generate around me (which only works sometimes). If I don't stop and wait, the game lags until I do or sometimes crashes altogether.
I am by no means an expert when it comes to this sort of thing, but I have tried using the process outlined in the MCM DYNDOLOD settings to stop/update the mod. I do not believe it's working properly, however; I managed to uncheck the box and received the notification that Dyndolod was no longer active. However, when I check the settings in MCM, it still says "Successfully initialized" even though the box is unchecked. When I save/reload the game as directed, the box is grayed out (I can't check it to reactivate) but it still says "Successfully initialized." I've tried looking online for "optimal settings" to tweak the mod, but since they're dependent on my system, I need help adjusting them to meet my actual laptop specifications.
Again, I have no idea how much information you guys actually need to assist, but it's better to give too much than not enough, I suppose. My system specs are below:
Intel Core TM i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
12GB (11.9GB usable) DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 4GB, 1 x 8GB)
128GB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive, 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 1660 Ti (6GB GDDR6 dedicated)
1920 x 1020 screen resolution
HP OMEN 17-CB0002CA
I have ruled out all the obvious issues I can think of, and tried several things suggested while searching online just to SEE if they'd correct my issue:
- Living Skyrim and Wabbajack folders are installed on my system's D Drive, as recommended per the installation guide.
- I used a fresh installation of Skyrim SE, as recommended. My Steam library (and thus the Skyrim exe itself) is also on my system's D drive, as recommended per the installation guide.
- Steam updates and the Steam overlay have been disabled for Skyrim.
- I did the initial launch of the game to generate game files as directed. Not sure if this is in any way related to my issues, but the game is unable to verify my system hardware in order to generate proper performance quality (and so it defaults to Low). As far as I know, all of the graphic settings are later adjusted and set by BethINI during the LS installation process anyway.
- I followed the LS installation guide to a T, copied Game Folder files into my Steam-Skyrim folder as directed, downloaded the latest ENB following the guide instructions, and an Obsidian-compatible ENB preset following the preset instructions.
- Depth of Field is set to minimum/0 in the Skyrim game settings as directed.
- I have already gone through the entire process of completely uninstalling Skyrim/deleting Wabbajack, LS, and all of the mod contents just to repeat the installation THREE times now, to be perfectly certain I have not misread or deviated from the guide instructions somehow.
- I have tested multiple ENB presets to ensure the problem is not connected to the preset I chose.
- I have used the recommended tweaks function in BethINI, as well as gone back to the settings as indicated on the BeforeBethINI file in my Living Skyrim profile folder.
- I've tried adjusting settings in the NVIDIA control panel using recommendations I've seen online. I've similarly tried adjusting Skyrimprefs.ini and ENB settings to try and correct the issue. Nothing seems to be working. I can't find a resource to adjusting DYNDOLOD settings, so I'm scared to mess with the values available using the MCM menu without some basis to go on.
- No other programs are running while Skyrim is playing (except for Mod Organizer, Steam which is required to be functioning in order to access the game but I have tried it in both on and offline mode to rule that out as a culprit). I doubt it's related but there IS also the background process Antimalware Service Executable (I know it's related to Windows Defender and even though I have entirely disabled Windows Defender for this very reason, it still uses varying amounts of memory–anywhere from 71-107MB under the Memory column and will not allow me to terminate the service no matter how hard I try). This service is literally always running in the background and doesn't affect my ability to play any other games (I regularly play Black Desert in Remastered mode at the highest quality with no lag or screen tearing, so as far as I know the background process does not greatly impede my laptop's ability to function).
- I'm running Windows 10.
For further reference, I'm attaching/linking supplementary documents/screenshots below (Keep in mind that the modlist is handled by Wabbajack, so I don't actually have a way/know how to modify or otherwise access certain aspects of the list, and for certain things I wasn't sure whether you needed info from files in the Living Skyrim folder or the actual Skyrim folder–which are in two separate places). :
PI-CHO ENB for Obsidian Weathers (the ENB Preset I used initially) – I deleted this one and downloaded Intrigued instead because it seemed lighter on the system, so I was trying to see if that corrected my issue; it did not
If there's anything else you guys need me to provide, please let me know. I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this all and help me out.
- Modlist Release Wabbajack Living Skyrim 2.0.0 is now available!
- UPDATED List of Modding Guides for Skyrim Special Edition
- Discussion Updating sidebawiki material to include Wabbajack.
© Post "Can Someone Help Me Fix My Lag/Crash Issue Please Please Please" for game The Elder Scrolls.
Top 7 NEW Games of June 2020
Quite a few exciting games are releasing for PC, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo in June. Here's what to keep an eye on.
Top 10 NEW Open World Games of 2020
Video games with open worlds continue to roll out in 2020 on PC, PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and beyond. Here are some to look forward to!
Top 10 Best New Upcoming Games 2020-2021
The best selection of games which will be released in 2020 and 2021 for PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Google Stadia and PC - and you can watch in amazing UHD 4K and 60FPS with latest updates about all of the games in this list!