This modding guide is written for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition version 188.8.131.52 (A) from GOG. It should be compatible with the steam and retail versions as long as they're patched to patch 3.4. This guide's main goal is to provide a balanced experience by fixing gameplay bugs, introducing secondary gameplay mechanics and other quality of life features. It also includes lore-friendly character textures and additional animations as optional files.
Modding The Witcher 2 can be a slow, boring and even difficult process, especially if you have never done it before and you need to manually update, and combine outdated mods. For that reason, I've combined all conflicting mods and packed the edited scripts into one main mod compilation. That's why there's only 1 mandatory mod in this guide. 99% of the code in this compilation is other people's hard work, so I'll go into details about the fixes and I'll link every mod that has been used. I'll appreciate it if you take five minutes of your time and like/endorse the work of the modders that made this possible.
This modding guide is divided in three steps – 1 mandatory and 2 optional. The optional steps cancel each other out, so you must pick one. If you don't like either, you can just ignore them. The first optional step introduces only minor texture and animations changes. The game stability is identical with the vanilla game, so if ANY crashes happen, it's not mod related.
The second optional step replaces the vanilla environment, character, weapon and armor textures with 4k textures. It also increases the vegetation rendering distance – an engine limitation the game has been suffering from since release. The downside is that its stability is hardware dependent. Crash can occur, but its tough to say if you'll experience them until you do. I did my testing on a couple of pcs and I'm satisfied with the results, but your mileage may vary. I'll provide instructions that should work for most people.
To prevent crashes, I advise you not to use the launcher and launch the game straight from witcher2.exe located in The Witcher 2bin folder via a shortcut. Ubersampling makes the game less stable, and I can't recommend it unless you have a beastly pc. If you keep it turned off, you'll double or even triple your frames depending on the resolution you're playing on. Even if you have a strong graphics card, RTX gpus have some problems with the game, so keep that in mind.
< MANDATORY STEP >
- < MANDATORY > – Yet Another Mod Compilation 1.0 – Extract the 2 .dzip files to The Witcher 2CookedPC folder. Start the game's launcher, go to 'Options', click 'DLC Settings' and make sure that 'yamc.dzip' is enabled at the very bottom. – https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/942/
Here's a complete list with a short explanation of what each of the mods added to YAMC does:
Enhanced Mod Compilation – Minimal 0.6.5 by QuietusPlus. This wonderful mod serves as the base for the compilation. The 'Stock' version comes with several features, some of them notably overpowered. To keep the in-game balance some of them were cut, those that made the cut include:
Detailed Descriptions – Fully displays Level 2 descriptions and shows available mutagen slots on unacquired talents in the character level up screen, so you don't have to do guess work in which ability to invest if you want to use a mutagen.
Item Tagging – Items are tagged and categorized in groups by similarity when sorted alphabetically for easier inventory management.
Respec Piton – You can reset your talents by buying a special potion from certain merchants.
Reduced Weight – The encumbrance mechanic in The Witcher 2 is annoying and punishing to the player. This solves the issue by removing the weight from recipes, alchemical ingredients, and junk items. Everything else stays the same.
Dead Body Delay Timer – Increases the time before corpses de-spawn. They can stay up to 5 minutes.
Dark Mode Effects Tweak – The annoying visual effect for dark outfits during combat is removed when Geralt is wearing a complete set. It's still present for equipped, incomplete sets.
Improved Targeting – Decreases attacked enemy importance. The player can switch targets easier.
Leveling Up Tweak – On higher difficulties, Geralt no longer needs to meditate in order to level up.
Draugir Trophy Fix – A fix for a small bug which prevented draugir trophy loot drops.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/696
Mutagenology – 0.3a by kamilius – This mod introduced craftable mutagens long before TW3 did it. You can pay craftsmen to combine for you lesser mutagens into more powerful ones. In order to do so you have to buy formulas from specific merchants. The mechanic is available at the start of Chapter 1.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/75
Junk Dismantling – 0.2 by Barrodin – This mod is expanding the crafting by allowing Geralt to dismantle all of his useless junk items to raw materials. The action can be performed by any craftsman for a small fee. The mechanic is available at the start of Chapter 1.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/85
Circles of Power Vigor Bug Fix – 1.0 by WutTheMelon – Circles of Power with the hexagon symbol now give the vigor regeneration effect.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/323
Melitele's Heart As It Was MEANT to BE – 0.8 by thebunnyrules – Fixes a small bug that was preventing the talisman's passive bonuses from working properly.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/799
Medallion Cooldown Reduced – 1.0 by shiki00 – By default the witcher's medallion has a 10 seconds cooldown before it can be used again. This tweak reduces the cooldown to 3 seconds.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/722
Grass Color Fix – 08B by Diegog5 – A fix for a texture bug in Chapter 2 on Roche's path.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/274
Grass color fix for Vergen – 1.0 by roggan – A fix for a texture bug in Chapter 2 on Iorveth's path.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/303
Market Prices Tweak by menyalin (code) and Paul_NZ (original idea) – In The Witcher 2 you're constantly strapped for cash. Geralt has limited opportunities to earn money and if you want the best gear, you have to go dumpster diving or farm harpy feathers. The unfair 24:1 buy/sell ratio doesn't help either. In comparison, the ratio in The Witcher 1 was 5:1. This mod applies the older ratio and makes sure Geralt doesn't get taken advantage of by greedy merchants. The changes are balanced, so don't expect from him to be swimming in money.
Link to original solution: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/67?tab=posts
Whirl Oil Hotfix – 0.2 by Kindo – Fixes a problem with whirl oil's recipe that prevented the player from creating it. The problem was first introduced by CDPR with the Enhanced Edition and left unpatched.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/218
Increased Maximum Dice Poker Wager Amount – 1.0 by zdanman – Increases the maximum bet in dice poker from 10 to 100.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/702
Radovid Persuasion Fix – 1.0b by TGirgis – Fixes a small bug that prevented Geralt from passing the check to persuade Radovid. The mod restores the persuasion level to 3, as it was in the original game, before the Enhanced Edition update.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/763
Prologue Archpriest Axii Fix – 1.0 by Liudeius – Fixes the scene with the archpriest in the prologue. Geralt can successfully charm him with the Axii sign.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/845
Story Ability Bug Fixes – 1.0 by MidnightVoyager (mod) and menyalin (code) – Fixes for several bugged abilities tied to story progression and specific gameplay decisions (like destroying 10 training dummies in Flotsam). Geralt can gain them as permanent character bonuses. Most them were bugged after the release of the Enhanced Edition and never fixed until now.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/823
Wild Hunt Fix – 1.0 by Klubargutan – Restores bugged journal entries and conversations about the Wild Hunt with Dandelion and Roche in Flotsam and Vergen.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/885?tab=description
Walls Have Ears and Suspect Thorak Fix – 1.0 by Klubargutan – Removes the bug that marks the two quests as failed after a certain point in Chapter 2 even if they were previously completed.
Link to original mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/886
< OPTIONAL STEP 1 >
– Hiuuz's The Witcher III shaved Geralt for The Witcher 2 1.0 – Extract the 'CookedPC' folder to the main game directory. This mod ports Geralt's face from TW3. Good for continuity – https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/919 – Hiuuz's The Witcher III Triss Merigold for The Witcher 2 1.0 – Extract the 'CookedPC' folder to the main game directory. This mod ports Triss' face from TW3. Good for continuity – https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/920 – Blue eyes for Triss (Lore-Friendly) 1.0 – Extract the 'game' folder to The Witcher 2CookedPC folder. This mod changes Triss' eye color. – https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/824 – Pirouette Dodge 2.0 – Extract the 'characters' folder to The Witcher 2CookedPC folder. The mod replaces the default rolling dodge animation with a custom made piroutte animation. It s how the witcher fighting style is described in Sapkowski's books. The only downside is that the pirouette animation is equal to the upgraded default one, so the 'footwork' talent in Geralt's talent tree does nothing with the mod installed. – https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/697
< OPTIONAL STEP 2 >
– Extreme Vegetation Rendering Distance 1.0 – Extract the 5 folders to The Witcher 2CookedPC folder. The mod provides increased rendering distance for over 250 vegetation models. – https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/898 – AI Upscale Textures 1.73OPT – Download the three 'OPTIMIZED' main files. Also, download the 'AI Upscale Hiuuz's The Witcher III shaved Geralt for The Witcher 2' and 'AI Upscale Hiuuz's The Witcher III Triss Merigold for The Witcher 2' miscellaneous files. Extract the folders from each of the main files to The Witcher 2CookedPC folder. Then extract the folders from each of the miscellaneous files to the same CookedPC folder. Overwrite when/if prompted. Now navigate to C:UsernamePCDocumentsWitcher 2Config, prepare a text editor and follow the detailed instructions I've written in this pastebin. – https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/889
If you experience issues and want to get rid of the mod, navigate to CookedPC folder and delete every folder with 'movies', 'sounds' and 'globals' being the exception. Don't forget to delete the two edited .ini files from the Documents folder, too.
– Pirouette Dodge 2.0 – Extract the 'characters' folder to The Witcher 2CookedPC folder. The mod replaces the default rolling dodge animation with a custom made piroutte animation. It s how the witcher fighting style is described in Sapkowski's books. The only downside is that the pirouette animation is equal to the upgraded default one, so the 'footwork' talent in Geralt's talent tree does nothing with the mod installed. – https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher2/mods/697
If you used only the mandatory file or the mandatory file + the optional files from step 1, you don't have to do any testing. If you've installed the mandatory file + the optional files from step 2, it will be a good idea to walk around the maps in Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 for about 30 minutes and see if you're going to crash or if the textures are loading properly.
Other than that I'm planning to post The Witcher 3 modding guide when I have free time after the holidays. I also posted The Witcher: Enhanced Edition – Revised Modding Guide a couple of days ago. Here's a link if you're interested.
- Modding guide and my favorite mods!
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition – Revised Modding Guide
- Yet an Other The Witcher 1 EE DC (GOG) modding guide – – – actual date in the post
More about The WitcherPost: "The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition – Updated Modding Guide" specifically for the game The Witcher. Other useful information about this game:
- Yennefer of Vengeberg, is underappreciated and I can explain.
- Witcher 3 – Best mods for Challenge & Immersion 2021
- [ENDING] Just finished the game for the first time and I feel empty inside. Anyone wants to discuss this with me?
- Your own Director’s Cut: what would you change?
- Greedy Witcher! Tips and tricks on stockpiling coin.
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.