Just hoping to start some serious discussion here. This is primarily for campaign, but to a lesser degree it affects multiplayer too.
Out of all the devastating spells and attacks in the game, most of them excel against infantry. Vortex spells, doomrockets, artillery and so on, the number of ways your Chosen (Great Weapons) can get absolutely annihilated in seconds is beyond count.
As a comparison, single entities are much more resilient. Compare the speed at which cannons kill giants to the speed at which poison wind mortars kill the supporting infantry. Compare the damage wind blasts and banishments do to the infantry versus the damage spirit leech and arcane unforging does to monsters.
In campaign it gets even worse due to how difficulty modifiers are handled. Single entities have so many advantages in mobility, non-degrading performance as they take damage and so on, they are consistently viable. But melee infantry fall off even harder. It becomes more efficient to run entire armies of archers than to bother with spearmen at all. The balance is further skewed by healing (with potentially near infinite winds of magic) and the supply lines mechanic ensuring one strong army is always preferable to two weak ones.
Multiplayer has different gold and army constraints as well as no building requirements, skills or tech (as well as no logistical concerns), so balance is much improved, yet it is still very noticeable. The mere existence of poison wind mortars makes bringing elite infantry of any kind a fool's errand against skaven, just as an example, and another is that the common norsca vs high elves matchup sees the former being able to brutally deny elite troops of the latter by using pendulums, seafang, etc.
Should this balance be improved in some way? It's so sad to see Chaos – whose theme is about very powerful heavy infantry – instead be relegated to spamming Shaggoths because they completely outclass the alternatives even at their price point.
- Infantry Shield Wall Formation when in Army – Problem
- Skink Character Idea ( Even though it will never happen 😞)
- The paradox of comments about CA making Total War battles more “multiplayer focused” while other comments lament the lack of multiplayer support
More about Total WarPost: "Are there too many melee infantry/elite infantry counters?" specifically for the game Total War. Other useful information about this game:
- Battle AI is so much better on the offensive (i.e. when player has artillery superiority)
- [Discussion/Suggestion/speculation thread] 10 possible mechanics that Warhammer 3 could take from older games
- Unique assignments for unique characters
- Opinion-Playing VC makes you a better order faction player but forget everything you know for the Vampire Coast.
- TK’s abdicate emperorship is so broken atm.
Top 7 NEW Games of February 2021
Looking for something new to play on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox, or Nintendo Switch in February 2021? Here are the notable video game releases.
Top 20 NEW Open World Games of 2021
2021 will bring us tons of open world games for PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, PS4, Switch, and beyond. Here's what we're looking forward to.