hi r/classicwow i'm looking for input!
EDIT: I am aware of the pre-established Ironman challenge, and I've watched a few people attempt it. I was hoping this version to be more "traditional" and less restrictive (while still being immersive and maintaining many restrictions).
Influenced by Runescape and their ironman mode, I want to develop a similar challenge that emphasizes the RPG elements of WoW Classic. I am posting this to reddit for some criticism, and for others to help design and influence this challenge.
In today’s fast-paced meta orientated environment, we rush past or gloss over what drew us to playing wow classic in the first place. The goal of this challenge is to increase the immersion of the levelling process, while also adding some additional challenges.
This challenge uses the honor system. You must follow these rules on your own behalf. It is recommended you stream every time you play to generate community hype as well as supporting evidence for your achievements.
To succeed as an ironman, you have to take full advantage of all avenues provided to you.
- Your professions are important. Many of the items you can craft with professions will be superior quality than those that drop.
- Fishing, Cooking, and First Aid provide significant benefits.
- Knowing where items drop as well as their drop rate is important. Wowhead and other forums are your friend.
- Gold will be scarce. Saving for your mounts poses an actual challenge
- Dungeons contain high level loot and great XP.
- You CANNOT trade with other players or use the mail system to send/receive items
- You cannot use the auction house for any reason
- You may only receive level appropriate help with dungeons and quests. Higher level characters cannot “boost” you
- All items must be rolled for fairly. Your party cannot funnel gear to you.
- All the rules above still apply, but if at any point you die (for any reason, sorry pvp servers!) you lose your hardcore status and become a regular ironman
These restrictions are designed to increase immersion and add difficulty to the levelling process. Quest rewards and drops become useful. Gold becomes much more scarce and important. You cannot “buy” an easier levelling experience with gold from your main.
Let me know what you guys think, or if there is any interest in starting a community discord or anything like that! I fully intend to start this myself once I receive some input, and am excited to stream this laid back immersive levelling experience.
- Hardcore Classic/Vanilla Server
- Why Don’t MMOs have Servers with Varied Difficulties?
- Hardcore Players : MMOs vs Single Player
More about World of Warcraft (WoW)Post: "WoW Classic Ironman/Traditional Challenge" specifically for the game World of Warcraft (WoW). Other useful information about this game:
- 10 Places to See in Classic Wow before TBC
- Items you can get now for faster Blood elf leveling in prepatch
- Not defending Blizzard, but a clarification people seem to have missed about the fees.
- An old Ghostcrawler (ex WoW developer) quote perfectly describes the developers mentality.
- A possible Azshara return, a short story written by grymauch on general discussion
Top 20 NEW Medieval Games of 2021
Swords, dragons, knights, castles - if you love any of this stuff, you might like these games throughout 2021.
10 NEW Shooter Games of 2021 With Over The Top Action
We've been keeping our eye on these crazy action oriented first and third person shooter games releasing this year. What's on your personal list? Let us know!
Top 10 NEW Survival Games of 2021
Survival video games are still going strong in 2021. Here's everything to look forward to on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, and beyond.